SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: website on cd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i put a clients website on cd, i would like to have it start as soon as it is put into cd drive starting with homepage, where can i find an autorun? script??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think most autorun's are just .bat files. pick up a CD and take a look at the autorun there in a text editor. should help you and save you money.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An autorun is like a batch file, that will automatically call an executable file when the CD is inserted.

I've had to do something similar, and here's how I did it...

1. Create a flash movie, make it simple, like a brief introduction. If you want to go the whole hog and make an interface, it's up to you.
    2. In the last frame of the movie, use a GetURL behaviour to 'get' the first page of your site (unless of course you're using a flash movie as your interface).
    3. Export the flash as an .swf file, open it in Flash Player.
    4. Somewhere (I think it's in the file menu) there's an option to package the file with a player, which basically converts the movie to a stand alone executable file.

Now, if it's worked, when you write your CD, with the executable flash file and the autorun.inf created (as jonese said, look at an existing one and change the path to the program, a basic functional one is really simple), you'll be able to insert the CD, the flash movie will play through, and open the default browser with your starting page.

Sorry if that's a bit haphazard, but I think you get the point. I'd tried calling NetScape, Internet Explorer and passing the filename to them as arguements, but of course you can't be sure which browser is installed, or where they're installed.

Let us know how you get one with it!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very good idea...
    but what if you dont have flash like me!
    (i'm a student and i'm kind of broke and the last thing i'm going to to is buy flash...)

couldnt you just put something like "open d:\intro.html" in autorun.inf with a js that could fit the window of the browser to a certain size??

i've always wanted to know an easy way of doing this without using flash. i've alwyas wanted to burn my mp3's to a cd with a startup html page letting you chose from a list of songs.... <blah, bla, bla...>

any good ideas?

ps. sorry i didnt actually answer your question hardline

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by diacono
    very good idea...
    but what if you dont have flash like me!
    (i'm a student and i'm kind of broke and the last thing i'm going to to is buy flash...)

couldnt you just put something like "open d:\intro.html" in autorun.inf with a js that could fit the window of the browser to a certain size??

any good ideas?

ps. sorry i didnt actually answer your question hardline
    Well, someone correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think you can. I've never seen an autorun file open a document before. Even internet magazine CD-ROMs use a custom programmed executable file to open the first HTML page of their CD-interface.

You could of course do what I did and download the evaluation copy of Flash specifically for this purpose
    If you're a programmer you could even try creating your own custom executable file.

(Update) After doing some digging I came across this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ps...oplay_cmds.htm

You could also try some commercial software that's designed to do that kind of thing, however, the ones I found weren't cheap. E.g. http://www.win-software.com/catalog/run1.htm.

Have a look around, the Flash solution is just one of many, but it's the one i'd used so I thought i'd pass that one on

Ady

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are a student then you might have access to your college/university's systems and there might be some software on there that you could use!

We have just got Flash 5 at university but if you only need to do it once oyu could follow FLuffy's advice and use FLash 5 by downlading an evaluation copy. If you cannot do that then I suggest you try Macromedia Director. You can download a copy of Director from
    http://www.macromedia.com
    for a thirty day period.

I believe that you can call a website from Director, and I KNOW for a fact that Director will create an autorun file for you if you wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasnt flash got a built in publish setting anyway. So you can publish your files as .exe

and its very nice of macromedia to give you a free 30 day trial with full functionality and the file is only about 10 - 12 megs, so it doesnt take that long to download either

And to my knowledge an autorun.inf file is all you need:

[autorun]
    open=aFile.exe
    icon=anIcon.ico

The icon is not mandatory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all responses, i will try and see what works, cam i do this with a quicktime avi file as well as flash?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nicky:

i've already used the demo from flash, but it kind of left its trace on the registry so i cant reinstall it agian (actually i can but as soon as i open it it tells me i've got 0 days left!)

any ideas?
    sorry for changing the subject

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've done a couple of CD's which have to open up an HTML file on autorun.

I had to use a custom .exe file which runs to open the html file. You don't need flash or anything.

E-mail me and I will send it to you (my address is in my profile.)

Peter

Thread Closed - Before and After.
    www.Gods101.co.uk - Affordable Quality.
    www.scepticism-inc.com - All extremists should be taken out and shot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Atirez
    Hasnt flash got a built in publish setting anyway. So you can publish your files as .exe

It probably does, it was using version 3 when I did it

Ady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fluffy,
    i am back with more questions on the cd rom,
    if i want the whole website to run by itself, like a presentation, how do i make it go from one page to the next?
    i was not aware that my client wanted this as a presentation cd, i would have to add a browser as well i guess?
    help!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way would be to use a 'refresh' tag on each page, that jumped to the next in the presentation after a specified period of time.

For example on page1.htm you might have:

Code:
    <META	HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh"
    	Content	= "30;
    	URL=path/to/page2.htm">
    That needs to go in the HEAD of your page1.htm file. You'd need to add on of those to each page, specifying the time and page for each one. This can also be done with JavaScript.

My advice here, is make the lengths of time enough to read the page very slowly. You could also add a manual link to the next page people can click on if they don't want to wait around. Be careful here, if it's moving too fast people won't get the information your client wants them to receive.

Hope that's some use.

Ady

NOTE: You might be able to add a browser using some software that converts a website to an EXE file. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the software, so you'll have to search for it I've found one here though you might want to look at.

Don't worry too much at including a browser, as most people tend to have IE or NetScape installed these days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot, Ady,
    great advice here, i'll let you know how it works!