SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Evangelist Backlinker1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes you just have to use a magnifier to read things XP has one built in but I dont use it. To much hassle.

There was a brilliant programe on TV a couple of nights ago about this dwarf women in the UK. Other people came up with all sorts of names. Little people, vertically challenged..... she referred to herself as a dwarf...... says it all really.

Graham
    Regards. Graham
    Buy, Sell, Talk And Learn About Antique British Ceramics.
    Abcir.org -
    Ceramtique.com - AbcirGroupForums.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

politically correct terminology

OK - I know that this is a bit off topic, but since we are talking about politically correct terminology I've got a question.

Here in the U.S. the politically correct way to refer to American Indian is "Native American" and to people who are "black" it is supposed to be more proper to say "African American".

I sometimes feel weird saying those politically correct terms as they seem a bit forced and awkward - also I grew up in a ethnically mixed school where everybody said "American Indian" and "Black", and almost all of the "Native Americans" and "African Americans" that I know refer to themselves as "Indian" and "Black". So shall I be politically correct, or choose the words that come naturally to myself and those in my community. . .

Just wondering how others feel about this, particulary those of other black or Indian backgrounds.

Note: I'm part Mexican and I crack up when people ask me if I'm Hispanic? I say, "no, I'm Mexican."
    MaFunk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn
    Backlinker1, I sympathise with you regarding the unscalable fonts.
    There is more than just Internet Explorer

It's a shame when people complain about not being able to read a site "because of the fixed font size" when IE/Win is the only browser where this is the case.

I assume that Firebird/Mozilla resize the text in text boxes. Opera resizes everything, including images, buttons, text boxes etc etc. I like this browser Full control to the user

Douglas
    Hello World

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume that Firebird/Mozilla resize the text in text boxes
    They do. Things seem to go a bit odd with drop-down lists, though.

The knight who said ni! RockyShark's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild boar
    Do you think we'll have web codes in the future? Like building codes..
    It's an interesting idea, but hart to implement internationally. And newspapers and magazines don't have 'building codes'.

TV and Radio have 'codes of conduct', although compliance I think is voluntary.

Maybe we should develop a similar Code of Conduct...?

SitePoint Enthusiast Jenny McDermott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you top this? Or I should say these, since I have 2 examples of hyper-political correctness to share tonight. I live in Minnesota, which I believe would be a top contender for the title of Political Correctness Capital of the World. Some years ago there were billboards around the Twin Cities put up by some industry group representing cattle and sheep farmers. They said "Fur. Leather. Wool. Meat. Yours to use if you choose." I had to see a couple before it hit me - WOOL? There are people who object to the use of WOOL? Pray tell, unless the sheep shearer is very drunk or the clippers are very dull, how does it hurt a sheep to be sheared?

I worked in the field of services to Developmentally Disabled adults for a while. (That's Mentally Retarded to the politically incorrect among you.) The hot issue being argued at the time I left the field, resulting in bitter arguments among colleagues, was whether the people who used to be referred to as "Mongoloid" should be called "Down'S Syndrome" or "DowN Syndrome" individuals.

So if anybody has contenders for these, I'd really like to hear them.
    "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating
    the taste of the American public." -- H.L. Mencken

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jenny if I understood what you want, have a look here:

Terms suggested to describe persons with a disability http://wats.ca/resources/wordswithdignity/35

By the way, I guess yould also like to have a look what my collegue Jakob Nielsen says:

Treating Users with Disabilities as People http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20011111.html

Another good resource:

Guidelines for Reporting and Writing about People with Disabilities http://www.lsi.ku.edu/lsi/internal/guidelines.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny McDermott
    Can you top this? Or I should say these, since I have 2 examples of hyper-political correctness to share tonight. I live in Minnesota, which I believe would be a top contender for the title of Political Correctness Capital of the World. Some years ago there were billboards around the Twin Cities put up by some industry group representing cattle and sheep farmers. They said "Fur. Leather. Wool. Meat. Yours to use if you choose." I had to see a couple before it hit me - WOOL? There are people who object to the use of WOOL? Pray tell, unless the sheep shearer is very drunk or the clippers are very dull, how does it hurt a sheep to be sheared?
    Vegans use no animal products for food, clothing, furniture or anything else, even if the animal doesn't die for it (for the most part; there are a few exceptional "vegans" probably).