SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Don't know where to start with PHP in my site!

Hello, I've been working on my webmaster resource site for a while now and I want to use php so my site is dynamic and I don't have to recode every page in html. What should i start with? I have a php testing server that is free, and it has 1 database too. I will use it to test my site until i get the hang of it, then i will buy a good server. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you even know PHP? that would be a good place to start...learning PHP that is...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say you have a testing server yes ?

What is a better option IMO is to download Apache Web Server, PostgreSQL [or mySQL] and PHP4.3.x and install these if you haven't already done so.

What you do not want is to upload your scripts etc every time just to test them which is tedius and waste of time if you decide not to install locally.

Buy Kevin Yanks book is another recommended option to get you started with PHP - You'll not be disappointed

And just begin to follow the book chapter for chapter I suppose; And visit this forum - often

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I 2nd the reading of Kevin's book. It's a great resource! Another book I found useful was 'PHP and MySQL Web Development' by Welling and Thompson.

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good book: "Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours"...it's like the third PHP book i've bought to try and help myself learn PHP and it did the trick...yipee!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Livingston
    What is a better option IMO is to download Apache Web Server, PostgreSQL [or mySQL] and PHP4.3.x and install these if you haven't already done so.
    This is what I did, and in fact how a do all my web development.

For learning MySql I too recomend Kevin Yank's book, to learn PHP I just read the manual at www.php.net/docs.php. However I the an advantage of having been a C programmer for 10 years and PHP structure is not that different (actually no structured language is all that different).