SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Table Cases

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Table Cases

Ok... I just got my website host all setup and my domain name registered. I am ready to start uploading things in the next few days, but I'm using Snitz, with a MySql backend. My host told me,

"You server is setup, and we have created a MySql database for you on the server. Here the information you'll need to connect to the database:

XX
    XX
    XX

Please remember to use ONLY lowercase letters in your table names, otherwise you will run into problems."

Ok, I have access to ASP (well of course) because Snitz is written in ASP. But I don't know what they mean because Snitz as far as I know uses all uppercase table names (i dont understand why).

Anyway, my questions are. Can I run ASP on a non-windows server?? Because the only thing I can see is the table cases would make a big different on a unix server, but on a windows server ??? that dosent make any since. Maybe they were dumb and setup my website on a unix server.. which will set me back because they are going to have to change it to a windows based.

I don't know because I didn't think ASP could work in a non-windows environment, but I am not sure about that. I didn't tell them I needed a windows server, because I figured they know since I am running ASP.

So basically I don't know if I should take a change and upload my MySql database or not. I dont need to corrupt it right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ASP is a Microsoft technology, and therefore wasn't meant to be run anywhere else apart from Windows.

However, there was a company called Chilli that came out with an ASP engine for Unix/Linux. It was bought over by Sun and can be found here:
    http://wwws.sun.com/software/chilisoft/index.html

Some web hosts run Linux servers and install Chilli on them. See if yours does that too.