SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: asp's future?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will asp and asp+ be obsolete in a year? What are your predictions on server-side languages? Who will stay and who will die?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since Microsoft supports 40% of the Internet Webserver Market and probably more of the Intranet server market, I don't see how you could come to this conclusion.

The usage of Microsoft Servers will likely increase with the use of Windows 2000, which has eliminated most of the shortcomings of Windows NT. The entire .NET initiative is based on ASP and COM, this is the future of Microsoft's computing Paradigm. It might not be the only way to compute in the future but they have a pretty solid base to work off of.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the why do I hear nothing but UNIX, PHP and SQL talk?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that Linux, PHP and MySQL are free and seen as more cost effective some companies. I don't know of many companies that will use a different database system (MySQL) for their webservices as opposed to their critical needs (Usually Sybase, Oracle, MS-SQL Server).

Getting Linux machines installed in an organization is often tricky at best. We can't do it where I work because "The company doesn't employ any Linux Admins". We do use AIX but not for webservers or intranet servers. AIX is reserved for Database Servers running Oracle and Sybase. Our Intranet servers are IIS. In return for our high commitment to Oracle and IBM (AIX), we get full 24/7 support onsite from them. Linux and PHP can't provide that kind of support. We don't need that for Windows because each location has a Tech that is trained in supporting Windows. No such training exists for Linux that is cost effective.

PHP is a great language and I can see it going far, yet it won't replace ASP or any other Microsoft Technology. ASP isn't a programming language per se but more of a framework that allows you to program.

I can see the same for Linux but until the distribution market settles down and becomes more standard with a larger acceptance of the plethora of end-user devices, it won't progress beyond niche status. Most users do not want to know how to compile or write code for their operating systems. They want to be able to purchase a fancy box, put the CD in the machine and go. They want quick and easy. Linux still has a long way to go towards quick and easy.
    Unix is simply too expensive.

MySQL is a great system for learning SQL and how to extract data, it pales in comparison to other Commercial offerings though. It would not be able to run most if not all commercial applications in areas such as finance, public safety and government, plus a lot of other sectors. There is no way it could support 1000's of concurrent users.

This all comes down to the web as well. The end-user that wants quick and easy, wants the same thing for their business on the web. They don't want "It will take me six months to program that from scratch", they want "It will be ready tomorrow".
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with Wayne, especially on the .NET initiative.

My facts might be slightly off, but from what I have read and heard .NET Beta 1 will ship with support for 17 programming languages. In addition, it will serve it's information out as HTML 3.2 and SOAP XML which will work with just about everything from Mac to Linux to an ATM and eventually your refrigerator.

The components that plug into .NET are developed or at least finalized through Microsoft. This means that if you are having trouble with your PHP component, you have a multi-billion dollar Microsoft infrastructure for support, not some free-loving, ex-hippy, newsgroup community.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, less of the hippy

Wayne is rights though, good Linux sys admins are hard to find and they certainly aren't cheap at all. Linux isn't the friendliest of systems on the planet, it is getting there but not yet for the server market because it's all graphical - Before everyone yells X-Windows and KDE and the such like, STOP because if your host of critical system has X-Windows on it then it isn't secure as X-Windows is known to be insecure and is recommended that you don't install it on a critical system for this reason.

Microsoft is going for the kill with .NET, it has the right idea and the timing is good, with there being no common desktop or application standards in Linux it is harder to develop for whereas with Windows, if it works on your Windows PC it will work on your friends and you neighbours etc, etc.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wayne and Karl has said it all. But I'll add another little point : it also depends on country locale and also existing sites that already run ASP. In Australia for example, many of the e-commerce sites as well as other interactive sites run ASP, and PHP/MySQL is only now beginning to be noticed by some in the local Net community. So here, ASP will still be in demand for quite a while, and Win2000 will re-inforce this demand.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)