• No

22 61.11%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ [email=P@CkMaN
    P@CkMaN'[/email]] Life as a teenager is great [img]images/smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
    Wish I could say that :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was seeing a counselor for a while, after my best friend fscked me over (yes, I use that 'cause that's what she did...she messed me up REAL good)...almost wanted meds, but then I regained control.

I think I need to learn yoga or meditation or something, to keep my mind off of the bad stuff.

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Winged Spider. Depression != Unhappy, even very unhappy. And mood swings != manic depression.

Depression is a medical condition. A person can also experience what is medically defined as depression for a short time.

So, some people really need medication for their clinical, long term conditions. There is a tendency for our society to overdiagnose and overprescribe these meds. I remember when I was 16 it seemed like everywhere I looked kids younger than me were given Prozac. But that does not change the fact that some people have these conditions like depression and severe anxiety that most of us could never understand, and it isn't "great". And many times these meds help them cope.

And sure outlook and positive thinking can help. But I think it's important to realize that not everyone is the same. Not everyone can bounce back from things the same way. For those in this thread really struggling with this, more power to you.

I'm just saying this because I thought some of the responses to the topic have been a little flip, and I just wanted to add my own 2 cents. I think we can all agree that life can be hard, and it's great to have people to turn to, like wonderful SPers!

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They would like you to believe that "Depression is a medical condition", thats BS its like saying "Getting Angry is a medical condition". Unless you have a manic depression or you have a chemical imbalance.

Its truely annoying what drug companies make you think is an illness. For example stress and nervousness, they are now considering it to be a form of depression and want you to go on Z,X, & Y.

PEOPLE GET NERVOUS, IT IS PART LIFE JUST LIKE DEPRESSION!!!

"The sweet is never as sweet without the sour"
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furryyuri

So, some people really need medication for their clinical, long term conditions. There is a tendency for our society to overdiagnose and overprescribe these meds. I remember when I was 16 it seemed like everywhere I looked kids younger than me were given Prozac. But that does not change the fact that some people have these conditions like depression and severe anxiety that most of us could never understand, and it isn't "great". And many times these meds help them cope.
    Warning! Rant ahead:

[rant]
    I think "depression" is really being marketed, and marketed well.
    The more people who have a mental illness that is based on vague and broad diagnostic criteria, the richer the drug companies get.

Being sad, or unhappy in my opinion is not a mental illness in and of itself.
    That being said, there are definitely "real" chemical conditions that would also meet the criteria for clinical depression. But with every new person who gets diagnosed as a result of being sad for a two week period, the issue gets more and more clouded for people with real chemical imbalances.

Some people have symptoms which meet the criteria for severe depression which cause their mental functioning to slow so much that they literally cannot speak, or get out of bed.
    Others have a rough two weeks and get the same diagnosis.

Is it possible that maybe people's lives really do suck, and that they don't
    necessarily have a mental illness? I'm not being insensitive, just acknowledging
    that we live in the real world where everything is not always peachy keen.
    Just because the circumstances you are in suck, and make you feel really bad does not mean you have a mental illness IMHO.

Of course if the standard shifts for what constitutes a particular mental illness,
    and that shift causes looser diagnostic criteria or practices, then you will
    naturally get an increase in the number of cases.
    So what effect does this have? One effect is that the drug companies make billions of dollars.

[/rant]

...off to drink my prozac flavored soda

--ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a difference between HAVING depression, and BEING depressed.

Say, your cat died. You're depressed, because you loved the cat.

Now, your cat dies, and you feel that you can no longer go on with life. Your soul mate is gone...buried in the ground in a shoe box...life has no meaning to you anymore

That is depression, the condition.

Pointiest Petitions carrotflowers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depression, or major depressive disorders, have a specific criteria developed through the consensus of mental health professionals based on the best available scientific knowledge. When new knowledge has become available the diagnostic has changed accordingly. Currently it is as follows:
    Diagnostic Criteria

A. At least one of the following three abnormal moods which significantly interfered with the person's life:
    1. Abnormal depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, for at least 2 weeks.
    2. Abnormal loss of all interest and pleasure most of the day, nearly every day, for at least 2 weeks.
    3. If 18 or younger, abnormal irritable mood most of the day, nearly every day, for at least 2 weeks.

B. At least five of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2 week depressed period.
    1. Abnormal depressed mood (or irritable mood if a child or adolescent) [as defined in criterion A].
    2. Abnormal loss of all interest and pleasure [as defined in criterion A2].
    3. Appetite or weight disturbance, either:
    * Abnormal weight loss (when not dieting) or decrease in appetite.
    * Abnormal weight gain or increase in appetite.
    4. Sleep disturbance, either abnormal insomnia or abnormal hypersomnia.
    5. Activity disturbance, either abnormal agitation or abnormal slowing (observable by others).
    6. Abnormal fatigue or loss of energy.
    7. Abnormal self-reproach or inappropriate guilt.
    8. Abnormal poor concentration or indecisiveness.
    9. Abnormal morbid thoughts of death (not just fear of dying) or suicide.
    C. The symptoms are not due to a mood-incongruent psychosis.
    D. There has never been a Manic Episode, a Mixed Episode, or a Hypomanic Episode.
    E. The symptoms are not due to physical illness, alcohol, medication, or street drugs.
    F. The symptoms are not due to normal bereavement.

So really unless it last for more than two weeks it isn't really a major depressive disorders. Primary care physicians who are prescribing antidepressants to people not suffering from the disorder may be falling prey to marketing ("Get out of the blue light with Paxil"), and are certainly not good physicians. But the fault doesn't lie with vague diagnostic tools. And it's way more than just being sad.
    The World Health Organization (WHO) "Major Burden of Disease" in developing countries study in 2002, which lists in order the biggest burdens (based on how many people have it, how debilitating, how long it lasts) and unipolar depressive disorders are #2.
    Studies have conslusively shown sufferers to have physiological difference in brain function and sleep architecture, most notably.

I think what's really being criticized here is our abuse of the term depression as a society, as well as an economic model that exploits that misunderstanding for profits. But we shouldn't conclude that depression isn't a medical condition, or that it's just feeling really down. These aren't the days of sticking the mentally ill in jail. Better a few silly people who don't need the drug take it for the sake of many whose lives are made manageable through medical intervention. And the only reason I'm saying this is because I used to think depression and such were just emotional problems until someone close to me developed a disorder that was successfully treated. And a friend of mine is a statistician in research for a mood disorders group at a psychiatric hospital, and I've come to differentiate the medical condition from the general perception of depression as simply an emotional condition.

Word!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sorry to hear that nicmc .

I personally believe that anybody, no matter how hard life can be and how much SH*t gets thrown at you, can still turn their life around. Too many young people in today's society have 1 or two things not go their way and they really feel like their life is over. But if you (not intended toward you nicmc, talking about people in general) step back and wonder where you life will be in 10,20, 50 years, it can really change things. Its really sad to learn that a 15 yr old killed himself because his GF dumped him or because he did bad on a test, or whatever. Its like, there is so much more to life, then a bad breakup or a bad grade. Life goes on, and assuming one has the willpower, you have to move on to and make the best of what is thrown at you.

Personally, I blame most of the parents of teens that try to kill themselves. If the thought process of a child is such where they have that kind of pressure on themselves to perform, that is wrong and they will crack if it is not done properly. A parent has to make it aware to a child that they love them no matter what path they choose in life, or what activity they do. The parent should be there to support them and care for them, not chastise them for every step they take. My fiance's parents have NEVER said anything to her in regards of, "IM proud of you, good job hunny, you have made me a proud parent, ect.." At least, I HAVE NEVER heard them say that, and I have been with her for 5 years. My father, on the other hand, gives me positive feedback every single day. I have had some rough times, but I have always kept a postive attitude for the direction of my life.

I just firmly believe that if someone thinks about killing themselves (especially over something as trivial as a relationship or less important), that they need to take a step back and seriously think of where they COULD be in 15 years down the road. If a girl or guy doesn't think the relationship will last or says, I don't want to be with you know more, that should tell you THEY ARE NOT the one for you in your life, not, "I HAVE TO HAVE THEM, I NEED THEM to survive". There is someone for everyone out there.

I apologize if this came off like a rant, just had some thoughts on my mind.

p.s. This wasn't a knock on anyone with depression, just my thoughts on how I think someone with depression could possibly handle it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing,

I have an aunt who is CRAZY. We all think she is manic depressive, but she has a whole different thought process to life. She isolates herself from the family, even though she is divorced. My grandma lives 5 minutes from her grandson who lives with her, NEVER GETS TO SEE HER. She uses her son to get things from the family, she manipulates her life and the lives of others, if she can. She is a mooch and tries to steal money from anyone who is in her life. When she was with my uncle, she went to VIctoria Secret and spent 5,000 dollars on underwear, just because she was mad and felt like it. She had driven my uncle into the ground financially, and he doesn't even get to see his son. They live in different states, her with her son, and him with the son's brothers. Really sad how messed up that corner of the family has become. There is alot more, but I don't want to get into it. I think she is manic depressive, but she might just be plain crazy or multiple personalities.

For one thing, her mood can switch on the drop of a dime, which I have heard is a sympton of manic depressive

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by furryyuri

I think what's really being criticized here is our abuse of the term depression as a society, as well as an economic model that exploits that misunderstanding for profits.
    That's exactly what my rant was about. There's no question that mood disorders and anxiety disorders are very real and potentially serious conditions. But it seems that they're being exploited for profit.

And I do believe that they are waaaay over diagnosed.

My point was, when you have people being diagnosed for being sad "too long"( and I do believe this is happening a lot), you cloud the issue for the people who have serious chemical imbalances.

If half of the population were to be diagnosed with cancer tomorrow, would that not work to negate the seriousness of the condition in most people's eyes?

--ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sla
    I was seeing a counselor for a while, after my best friend fscked me over (yes, I use that 'cause that's what she did...she messed me up REAL good)...almost wanted meds, but then I regained control.
    What did she do to you?
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Forum Mathematics Geek Agent Dwarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was depressed, but I started running every day and suddenly it went away

By the way, I'm getting in better shape every day, so it has a double purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the worst thing about this thread is that its not being very objective or helpful to those who obviously have suffered, or are suffering from depressive illness. I think it would be more productive to support those people in any way possible. To give them the opportunity to express what most of us can't possibly comprehend, and at the least, offer some hope.

Its very sad that this is happening to millions of people and especially those so young, but the fact remains that it does. And offering whether or not drugs are the cure or the problem is obviously less important than the depression itself.

So can we keep this conversation at a level where it serves a better purpose?
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My depressed time lasts through my test weeks and the couple of days after

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please don't bump two year old topics
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't just get a manic depression just like that. There is a huge difference between bi-polarity (manic depression is an obsolete term) and a depression that is tied with a certain event. The latter is pretty common for many people, while the first is a mental disorder.

I do not have a manic depression. I do have a post-traumatic depression. This form of depression is often found with people who've suffered from severe abuse during their childhood (hence post traumatic). You carry that stuff with you your entire life. But (alas), thanks to meds and good therapists, you can live quite okay at some point and not let your past ruin your present and future.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble