14 38.89%
  • No

22 61.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who suffers from depression (manic depresive?)

Was inspired by my ance to 'Who's a burnt out developer?'

So who suffers from depression? Back in '99 my life fell apart.. i was able to deal with it for about 2 years.. and then I had another major issue arise.. and I ended up in counseling for the third time, but this time every week on meds, and I was diagnosed manic depressive...

Any others?
    Eric Coleman
    We're consentratin' on fallin' apart
    We were contenders, now throwin' the fight
    I just wanna believe, I just wanna believe in us

"Of" != "Have" bronze trophy Jeff Lange's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, I've never been on any medication for longer than about a week. I don't really have any stress in my life, and I have a lot of fun.
    Who walks the stairs without a care
    It shoots so high in the sky.
    Bounce up and down just like a clown.
    Everyone knows its Slinky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Uni, and I work full time, so my life is all stress. Ecxept later tonight, tommorrow night, and Saturday night. I'll be having fun
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty depressed for the last few years. been to counselling once or twice. This year's been much nicer sofar
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've never been seriously depressed ever that I know of. Sure, life has it's ups and downs but mostly I'm having a ball. Life as a teenager is great

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I see nothing wrong with being depressed now and then. Sure I get depressed sometimes should I take drugs for it? NO!

"Oh my son doesnít pay attention in class, so I put him on Ritalin". "Oh I feel depressed today better take some Paxel".

I hope you know that Paxel successfully increased the suicide rate. Paxel and others turns you into mindless zombies who can express any emotion at all. I would rather die.

Anyway, I think that depression is great, and necessary. Whenever I have a crash, I reflect on my life, and my surrounds and usually come out the next day, more focused and much happier.

Then there are people who get depressed all the time, and then and only then could I justify using drugs.

"Thatís just my opinion I could be wrong".

[advisor edit: language]
    Last edited by mmj; Sep 27, 2003 at 01:54.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took paxil for a while, and it made my depression worse...

No medicine worked for me... I told my psy.. uh doctor that i wanted to just live, if this is who/how i was, that's who i am.. so after a year of expirements, i came off them all

It's not that bad for me really.. my girlfriend keeps me out of the downs... but every few weeks or so i just wake up in that mood
    Eric Coleman

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my days. But I'm not consistently depressed, just a day now and then. I've been blessed and I look around every day and see it.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick comment....

"Manic" depression and plain old vanilla depression are two completely different animals.

...me...I'm just a miserable git...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe,

well...i guess everyone is a little depressed every now and then, but as H mentioned, that has got nothing to do with manic depression....

My little story: well, this year has been a struggle, ever since my best mate died in a car crash last december....it makes you think about life itself and a lot of other things...and i lost the drive for quite some time...but you (gotta) carry on somehow....
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ingo, that's awful. Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't know how I would react to losing my best bud.

I suffered post-partum depression after having my last child. It was horrifying. I had absolutely no control over my emotions and mood swings. It was overwhelming for my husband to deal with. My doctor put me on an anti-depressant for a little over a month or two and it straightened me out without all the side effects I was warned about. My biggest relief of depression was educating myself about it's causes and I soon learned that there were alternatives I could do to get over the mind-numbing illness.

Today, I'm a very happy person and even though I have stress, I don't get depressed about it.
    Former Design Your Site Team Leader

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suffered post-partum depression after having my last child.
    I am not criticizing at all, just curious as to how this effects you, how you feel about your new child, etc.. I have heard of this, Andrea Yates case, but I would love to know what are the toughts that go through someones head who go through this type of depression after having a child. Does it become an issue of who gets more attention, the baby or the husband, does that trigger any of the depression. Personally, it makes common sense for the mother to pay attention more to the baby then the husband, and I would be all for that, but it would be a mutual attention toward the baby.

For me, I am 22 years old. Lost my mother at 15, lost my grandfather 3 months later, lost another loved one 1 month later, then the next year lost 3 more relatives (all close). It took a mental and emotional toll, but I guess I have an over-positive attitude or an extremely strong mental capacity. I have lived my life positive regardless of what has happened and move on each day. I have never smoked, never drank, don't take drugs, or pills (okay, advil for occasional headaches). Just graduated College in 4 years while playing a division 1 sport. Times get tough, but you have to keep trucking along. I have a simple quote, and its basic, but to the point

[quote]
    If you take the negatives in your life and try to make them positive, chances are your life will be happier and healthier. If you take all the disadvantages running in your life and try to make them advantages, again, your life will be happier and healthier.
    [quote]

my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm depressed most of the times but not to the manic depresive level.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its not depression here. just bad timing. economy fell apart when I graduated with my masters degree, no jobs, no offers, and now I'm trying to work on a small business start up and the results have been mixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't suffer extreme depression, but there are ups and downs. I know of someone who suffered from serious mental disorders and try to kill themselves. It didn't work (amazingly... 400 aspirin and no permanent damage to them physically...) and eventually they discovered that this person's blood stream contained extreme amounts of mercury. The person went on meds to balance out the mercury levels and they're just fine now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a little off, but I haven't tried any medication and never had serious depression. Just curious, what do the medications make you feel after taking them. How do they work? Do they make you feel sleepy or something?
    jax502

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What jag said
    [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nicely put.

When I remarried, my husband and I decided we wanted children of our own. I became pregnant with my son shortly after our marriage and everything was great. Within 1 year of my son's birth I was pregnant again with my youngest daughter.

First of all, a woman's body after pregnancy can take up to 18 to 24 months to fully return to normal. In my case, not only was I not fully healed from the previous pregnancy, but I had a difficult pregancy with my daughter. She was a single umbilical artery (SUA) baby which is rare and I think subconsciously I carried the stress of not knowing whether she would be born with complications. Complications including no vagina, no rectum, major organ problems, etc. The more I researched about SUA, the more concerned I became. I had already gone through severe health problems with my first son, so the combined stress of both experiences and the worry affected my well-being emotionally. Even though my daughter was born healthy, I had other stress issues to deal with and having a toddler and a newborn was simply overwhelming. The stress took charge of me physically and mentally, and I was still healing from both pregnancies.

I never had thoughts of harming my children nor harming myself. I just felt overwhelmed. I couldn't carry out a simple thought-process such as what to cook for dinner. Everything in my head was scrambled. I would then get emotional and frustrated with myself. Its so hard to explain what its like other than you just really feel helpless.

The only issue of attention or lack of, was within me. I had no time for myself. At times, I couldn't shower when I wanted to and other simple things most people take for granted.

The combined overwhelming feelings and stress through off my chemical balance which is where the antidepressants helped. My depression was not even close to being like Andrea Yates. Sadly, the health system failed her in so many ways as well as her husband.

I feel so lucky I had the support system I did during those rough times because without it, who's to say what would have come from it. Depression is one of those things that if overlooked for a long period of time, it can and will destroy a person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the andrea yates case, could it REALLY get so bad you hear voices to KILL your children?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    In the andrea yates case, could it REALLY get so bad you hear voices to KILL your children?
    Take with a grain of salt what you hear in the media. There is alot about that case which was never mentioned.

In answer to jax's question: I didn't feel anything when taking the anti-depressant other than feeling better mentally. Most antidepressants are believed to work by slowing the removal of certain chemicals from the brain. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are needed for normal brain function. Antidepressants help people with depression by making these natural chemicals more available to the brain.

I'm not sure about the medicines prescribed for manic depression.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks URALLy! Yoga can probably be a good cheap substitute for medication.
    jax502

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jax502
    Thanks URALLy! Yoga can probably be a good cheap substitute for medication.
    Yep. Good diet and exercise is the key to a healthy body and mind. Yoga works wonders for both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that I'm manic depressive. My mood changes quickly, I can feel very happy for 15 minutes, then suddenly my mood can change and I can be unhappy. It's strange [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] But I never thought of taking medicine ...
    pff | I am not what I am

'Does he exist in the same way as I exist?'
    'You do not exist Winston,' said O'Brien.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow... Is anybody happy anymore?

You guys might be feeling down and sad but I doubt all of you are actually depressed. Note the use of AND in the below definition and not or.

Psychology. A psychiatric disorder characterized by an inability to concentrate, insomnia, loss of appetite, anhedonia, feelings of extreme sadness, guilt, helplessness and hopelessness, and thoughts of death.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Spider
    Holy cow... Is anybody happy anymore?
    I am, after 5:30PM and on weekends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my "depressed" times last a few days normally.... most just lead to increased drug curiosity.. all things I wish I haven't done, but they happen... I blame myself for being around those people though

One of my closets friends suffers from the same problem (though he is probably 15 years older than I am).....

I could just be driving one day and think.. hey if I drove infront of that semi... boom

There has been a suicide problem in my area lately as well... probably the cause of my increased emotional feelings towards people... 6 suicides in under a month.. and there was an attempt

A 12 year old was stoned at the bus stop, farted in school about 5 hours later, and on the way home, a girl told him "your so fat, just go home and kill yourself" he did just that....

I don't know what's going on...
    Eric Coleman