User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Redheadskater's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help settle a dispute

between me and my husband.

We are currently submitting a proposal for a site that will feature newsletters about the steel industry. There will be a charge for the newsletter. According to the our source, he has "a couple thousand" clients to sell this newsletter to.

I say MySQL will be sufficient for this site. The hubby says no way - SQL is the way to go because of the # of hits the dbase may potentially get.

I fully admit he's the programmer and not me, but based on what I've read about MySQL, I feel this is the better choice.

Do you agree or disagree and why?

Lisa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mysql will be able to handle it without breaking a sweat This forum is run from mysql, and would have a million rows of data at least stored in the database, it's a lot more server-intensive than a simple newsletter.

mySQL is also free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't know if this would count as evidence but deviantART.com is run on PHP/MySQL.

The site gets around 200,000 hits a day (last I heard) and the nature of the site is extremely demanding.
    There are over 2.5 million submitted pieces of work which get nearly 3000 comments an hour, not to mention the forums, news, favourites system, processing the images (there are at least two thumbnail images created dynamically for every submission.) From what I have seen there is a new piece of work submitted every 20-30 seconds.

There are no doubt bigger sites around, but its one that comes to mind that uses MySQL for BIG work

SitePoint Enthusiast Redheadskater's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for your input! Now that I have some specific examples to show him, I'm sure he'll go with mysql.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll play devil's advocate and say you should use what the programmer feels comfortable with.

It sounds like MySQL could handle what you need. However, if the programmer and/or database admin generally has trouble with MySQL then you might need to opt for another database. PostGreSQL is a good free *nix choice for some people, MSSQL is the choice for others who want to use an MS server.

Really, a newsletter site doesn't sound too complex, so I'd expect MySQL would be just fine, like people here are saying.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?