SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS and accessibility

The validators for Web Accessibility turn off style sheets and script language and demand that the remaining code produce a viable product. I've been using HTML markup with CSS and getting
    a reasonably decent final product. My question: what is the approach to use with "Using CSS for Layout" and forgoing tables and HTML tags given these accessibility limitations?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does this have to do with Perl?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved from Perl forum to CSS forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1andyw
    The validators for Web Accessibility turn off style sheets and script language and demand that the remaining code produce a viable product. I've been using HTML markup with CSS and getting
    a reasonably decent final product. My question: what is the approach to use with "Using CSS for Layout" and forgoing tables and HTML tags given these accessibility limitations?
    What do you mean? Accessibility is just about your content being accessible to anyone using your page, regardless of their disability or their choice in device used to get to your page. If your content is readable with stylesheets off, then you've won half the battle. If you include appropriate accessibility attributes in your tags, like alt and title on img tags, or the summary attribute in your tables, then you're very far along .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All it means is that to be accessible your content should be readable and usable without the layout provided by your stylesheet. Your navigation should be clear and easily accessed, using a link to jump to it if it is at the end of your content with styles turned off, your content should be in a logical order and clearly marked out with appropriate headings and sub headings.

http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html

That'll let you view your site as plain text.