SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to hear some feedback from users who uses those e-mail clients personally. Please tell us how advanced are the features and how helpful have they been in your own practical experiences. Thanks.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up until recently I've been using Eudora 5 - it had a better interface IMO and a few features that I liked, which made me use it over Outlook. But about a month or so ago, I got pretty fed up with the lack of features in Eudora's Contact List feature, compared to Outlook's. I really needed a better Contact List, so I switched back to Outlook.
    But Eudora still remains my client of choice so if their Contact List ever gets up to a par with that of Outlook, I'll very probably be switching back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook is superiour, though I think MS should've given it some more pf th mail features of Outlook Express. I'm really annoyed with the fact you can't organise the maps. I mean it always puts them alphabetically...

Anyway I think Outlook is superiour, because all the rest are not that powerful and have ugly looking interfaces...

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Messenger all the time and it's all I need. I can send and receive emails and have those other folders too (sent, trash etc.). What else do you need in an email program? I can't think of any...

BTW the interface of NS Messenger isn't ugly at all, it's just very simple and not as cluttered with useless things as Outlook's. I have never seen or used Eudora.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using Eudora for a while now, and I love it. Previously I used Outlook 2000, but it was buggy and often froze my computer.

I had tried Eudora before (the free version), but I didn't like it. It was version 3 or something ancient like that. A few months ago I heard that Eudora was becoming free, ad-supported software, so I downloaded the version 5 beta and our relationship began

I think its interface is far better than Outlook's--you don't have loads of windows sitting around the place, but instead they all fit nicely into the main window. Another thing I love about it is the Task Window, which shows the progress of each task (and lists all errors too). I didn't like how Outlook implemented this; you have to double-click on the text at the bottom, and even then you are left with an ugly window on your screen.

I also like the way that Eudora multi-threads when you are handling mail from multiple accounts. This undoubtedly saves time when receiving mail.

I'm not sure why James wasn't happy with the Contact List, I find that I am using it more than I ever used Outlook's Contact List.

Mail filters are dead easy to set up in Eudora. There are plenty of ways to create them, and all are much easier than Outlook's system!

Overall I think Eudora has the best system in the business.

Daniel Irvine
    Aroze - Content management simplified.
    F-Free.Net - Free Stuff and Freebies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used Eudora, and I haven't used NS Messenger in years. I switched to Outlook a long time ago and am currently on Outlook 2000. I like the fact that it is compatible with my Palm Pilot.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Daniel
    I'm not sure why James wasn't happy with the Contact List, I find that I am using it more than I ever used Outlook's Contact List.
    When you look at the Outlook contact list and the amount of detail it allows, eg fields for each piece of data, then they don't really compare IMO. Eg Outlook will let me enter 2 mail addresses in seperate fields, Outlook has a place for me to record time spent on a particular Client's work in his/her Address Book entry.
    I still believe Eudora is the best client, but the Address Book really isn't powerful enough for me, if this improves in a future version the I will definitely switch back.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook is by far the most powerful email client on the market. However, a lot of the features may go to waste if you don't use them, such as task scheduling, calendar, notes, etc. If this is the case, you'd be best off with Outlook Express, which is a nice and free version of the full-blown Outlook.

I haven't used Netscape Messenger for a long time, and I didn't like it even then. I have heard a few good things about Eudora, but I'm sure it isn't close to Outlook 2000.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another Outlook user.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with most everyone: Outlook is the best. I use Outlook 2000 for my business, and find it very helpful. Between the Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Tasks, I can really organize myself. I've never tried any of the others, and I don't think I ever will

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by James

Outlook will let me enter 2 mail addresses in seperate fields, Outlook has a place for me to record time spent on a particular Client's work in his/her Address Book entry.
    Eudora does let you specify more than one address. In fact you can specify as many as you like.

OK, just another question... does nobody else find that Outlook crashes (or at least slows down) their computers? Maybe it's because of my setup (32 mb of cheap RAM, etc), but I'm not sure. Eudora's stability was also a big part of my decision to use it full-time. Outlook seems to hog more of my system resources than ICQ
    Daniel Irvine

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Outlook 2000 because its features and ease of integration into other applications can't be beat by any other information system available on the market, including Lotus Notes.

One of My PC's is a 90 Mhz, Pentium with 64 Megabytes of RAM and Windows 98 SE, Outlook has never crashed on the system except for one time when my kids accidently unplugged the Network Hub and it couldn't find the OST file on the fileserver.

P.S. to the guy who uses the free ad supported version of Eudora, I hope you have nothing personal on your computer. The technology used for the ads not only tracks every website you go to, whether or not Eudora is open, but it can also tell them what software you have installed, how often you use it and for how long.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep... SpyWare!!! Just like Go!Zilla. Although, I have heard that there is a program that can keep it from contacting the host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    P.S. to the guy who uses the free ad supported version of Eudora, I hope you have nothing personal on your computer. The technology used for the ads not only tracks every website you go to, whether or not Eudora is open, but it can also tell them what software you have installed, how often you use it and for how long.
    Yep I use it. I don't care about them tracking my behaviour -- it's not like they are going to post my information around the Net for people to inspect. I think people get too worked up about these privacy issues. My own view of the matter is "so what?"

Eudora also asks you each month to send them a copy of your usage stats - I send it right there and then
    <Edited by Daniel on 12-11-2000 at 04:42 PM>
    Daniel Irvine