SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Any Database Gurus Out There?

Ok. Here's the situation.

We're using LaGarde's Storefront 5.0 for our client's e-commerce. This software is THE FARTHEST thing from customizable, so in the end, we're only using the Database (DB) it makes and I am hand-writing code to interact with the DB.

Our host has a Windows NT server (I know! I know! They're ancient) which our site (Server) works fine, however the customer wants SSL. Our host currently offers SSL but through a virtual directory that maps to a different server (SSL-Server). Sure enough, the DSN we setup on the Server does not work when the visitor is moved to the SSL-Server because the DSN cannot work across 2 different servers.

Storefront (SF) provides a remote administration tool but it requires MSADC 2.6 to be installed. Our host has refused to install this component so I cannot remotely change data on the website. Instead I have to LOCK the website, download the DB, make the changes, reupload it and unlock it, EACH TIME THE CUSTOMER WANTS SOMETHING TO CHANGE. The customer has a "low-power" admin tool that lets him change things like prices, description, on sale status, in real time.

Our host told us we would have to DUPLICATE the databases, move one to the SSL Server and make ANOTHER DSN on the SSL Server so that the cookie (which stores only product ID and quantity) can query the "SAME" database while they are on the SSL Server (to show product information on the receipt, etc.)

This is impossible. Even IF they installed MSADC is installed, I could only control ONE database. This all means I have to DL 2 DB's, change them (making sure the SSL one matches the changes of the non-SSL one) and reupload them.

We thought about gettin an SSL certificate, but we can't break news to a customer that there's an additional $200/year charge when the site he got was only $500 (and retails for $2000+ easy)

It's all a nightmare right now. Is there any information you guys can lend to help straighten this out?

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't the SSL DB be essentially the same as the non-SSL'ed version (or vice versa?). If you can identify which is the master you can simply overwrite the slave w/o editing it.

This is not a great soln but I don't know of any other way (what is your DBMS?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I would like the both DB's to be the same at ALL times if possible. In fact I'd much RATHER only have 1 database that could be accessed from both the SSL and non-SSL server (But I'm being told by "tech support" that this is impossible)

DBMS? Database Management System? I'm not sure what that is, but we're using Microsoft Access 2000 Databases with ASP/VBScript and ADO to connect via a DSN.

How can I overwrite the slave (automatically) when they exist on 2 different servers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm... Is it possible to find out if your host has an MSSQL server available? If so, you can export the current DB structure and data to the SQL Server and set up a datasource on each of the other servers (SSL and non) that points to the third (SQL) server...

buried in the database shell (Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron.martone
    How can I overwrite the slave (automatically) when they exist on 2 different servers?
    Well, couldn't you just copy and paste one over the other? Wouldn't that do it?

Like, overwrite the one access DB with the other?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSNs can go across machines, so long as the machines can browse to each other on the LAN and a drive can be mapped. Have the DB live on one machine then just make a DSN with the same name that tracks to the other machine thru a mapped drive. Works like a charm.

OTOH, given the level of technology and customer service, it might just be time to vote with your wallet and find a new host.

WWB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so DSNs CAN be mapped to LOCAL SERVERS on their LAN? The SSL Server they use is THEIR server, so that might work.

I've emailed my host telling them that I want a DSN setup on my SSL Server that REFERENCES the DSN we have on the non-SSL server (gave them the directory to the DB on the non-SSL Server) If they can do this, that will help.

I also need to find out if doing so will popup MSIE with warnings about making requests to non SSL locations (when ON the SSL site) That's another thing we cannot tolerate. It will give the user a false sense of security if MSIE warns about this.

Do you know if it will offhand?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not referencing the DSN. You are pointing to the same database file.

EG: computerA has a DB File (DB.mdb) in a shared folder, c:\db and has a dsn pointing to it. Computer B has \\computerA\db\ mapped as drive F. It would have a DSN pointing to F:\DB.mdb. DSNs, as I understand things, cannot be mapped to other DSNs.

This should not give one security warnings as all this is happening behind the scenes in the server side code.

WWB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I meant the ASP file references the DSN (via an include) They setup the DSN, pointing to the DB on the non-SSL database, and no warnings have come up, but neither is data showing up.

I will look into the code to see if I made a mistake. At least no ASP errors are coming up now.