Thread: Streaming Audio

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Streaming Audio

Hi,

First of all, appologies to admin... didn't know what forum to put it in sorry.

I've got a client coming to visit tommorow who is representing a young band. They have their single out next week and are desperate for the site to be up by then. I can handle pretty much everything they've asked for however I'm a little puzzled as to the best way to go about one particular request.

Being a publication for their single they would like to have some snippets of their tracks playing on the site. So I need to get some streaming media solutions.

Now I'm not particularly interested in RealOne player, I'd like them to be able to do it through windows media player. Both would be great if it proves cost efficent.

Can anyone offer any advise on what I should do about this? Or is there any good resources I can read up on streaming audio? What licenes will have to be payed, (If any). Is it just a case of converting to a certain file format? Do I have to arrange anything special with my webhost?

Much obliged for any replies. (ESP the ones that are quick what with my airtight schedule an all :P)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to look as using Flash with a streaming MP3.

Douglas
    Hello World

orange pips! orange pips!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you are doing the site for the band, would they not give you rights to copy the song to an mp3, clip it using any shade of clipping tools out there (www.download.com would have many of them) and then put a link to that in your site? Windows Media Player handles mp3's nowadays.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah by all means but if I place a link to an mp3 file on a webserver and it is clicked, IE or Netscape will just attempt to download it.

I can use flash pretty well but would like to go for a more robust correct solution. That displays info on buffering e.t.c

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can pseudo "stream MP3" files if you link via an *.m3u, but no doubt people will try to rip the files so probably you should just have short clips taken from the track if you plan to use that method.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's the plan. They specifically requested only small clips of the tracks will be on the site. Do I need to get special software to convert to an .m3u? I've seen talk of doing it through notepad :O

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bez
    I can use flash pretty well but would like to go for a more robust correct solution. That displays info on buffering e.t.c
    I'm not sure what you mean by a more robust correct solution, but given the fact that flash has greater penetration than any other media player I would say it was a solid choice.

Plus if you want that buffering etc info, well you can use actionscript to deliver it very easily, or just use one of the many components out there to do the job if you are in a hurry...
    To be honest I haven't played with real or winmedia player for quite a while, but have NO fond memories of them

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fairly simple process you create a text file with a link to the actual *.mp3 file and save the plaintext file with the *.m3u extension.

For example within the *.m3u file you would have:
    Code:
    http://www.yoursite.com/mysong.mp3
    Within your actual web-page you use the standard hyperlink to point to the *.m3u you just created for example:

<a href="somefile.m3u">Click Me</a> this is not true streaming but should trigger a helper application and begin playing the *.mp3 from the instructions given in the *.m3u.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh sweet cheers man!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a great little streaming audio program that is just built for what you want.

Quentin
    Add RSS Feeds to your website with this free software.
    http://rssfetchlive.com/