SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

is very happy now :) Itay Neeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any of you saw news today, the PM of Israel, Ehud Barak, just resigned.

I was wondering what you all thought, please post.
    Itay - [email] [icq]
    Darklight Studios - Bringing light into gaming
    Pretzel Wisdom
    - Mine... All Mine! coming soon...

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's unfortunate, that it had to happen.

There is too much political division in Israel, but I think he should be reelected, hopefully with a majority, so that he'll be able to actually ACT on situations without having to worry about parliament not ratifying treaties, or not passing legislation.

Adam

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading about this briefly in this morning's paper, it seems that more than a few people are upset by Barak's move and view it as an attempt to prevent Barak from having to face Netanyahu in special elections, as he will not be elegible to run for Prime Minister according to Israeli law since he is not currently a member of the Knesset. It seems very likely that this was Barak's strategy, but it seems to be backfiring. Public opinion seems to be turning even further away from him and there are still some scenarios in which Netanyahu could become eligible (a quick change to the law or special elections for the Knesset at the same time as the election for Prime Minister would apparently make him eligible).

From where I stand, which is admittedly far away, without a lot of the information, and with the benefit of hindsight as to public reaction, it seems to me that Barak should have stuck to the plan of a few weeks ago in which special elections would have been held later in the Spring. I personally think he could have weathered this and it would have also given him some time to try to work on getting the peace process back on track. Now he has only two months to make things happen, and that does not seem like much time. I do think that, with the threat of having Netanyahu or, even worse, Ariel Sharon, as Prime Minister, Arafat and other Arab leaders involved in the Peace process may be more likely to try to get something done quickly, but it is a risky strategy in my opinion. If he had waited until late spring, they would have had more time to try to accomplish things that could stabilize the situation and then I think Barak would have his support back.

In general, I have a lot of respect for Barak. Although the recent happenings were undoubtedly handled badly by both sides at times, he has done so much and had brought the process SO far. In my opinion, it was almost inevitable that at the stage of the peace process that had been reached, there would be backlash from the minority (anti-peace) groups on one or both sides. The last Prime Minister who made such strides was assasinated. If Netanyahu had reached that point in the peace process, it would have happened under his watch, but he never got that far. Everything I read says that Netanyahu leads the polls and it looks like he would be elected if he was eligible. As he accomplished substatially less in moving the peace process forward and has recently, it seems, become less supportive/optimistic about the peace process, I do not understand this. I guess I still want to believe that most Israelis are pro-peace. But even if they are not, why is Netanyahu so popular? My opinion of him is that he has the charisma (and personal scandals) of Clinton, but without the kinds of accomplishments Clinton can boast of. What is the attraction of Netanyahu? Or is it just that most Israelis are not ready to deal with the harsh realities of the peace process and so are ready to abandon a man who did so much for it when things get tough?

Sorry for the tirade. I know this isn't my election and, although it ultimately could effect us all, it is the Israeli people's election. One of the things that ticked me off about the U.S. election was that so many people from other nations felt that the election should be based on what they wanted and what they thought was best. It was our election, and the upcoming special election is Isreal's. Ultimately, it is the Israeli people who have to make the choice and live with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sahar,

That didn't sound like a tirade at all. I enjoyed reading your post.

I too think it was just a strategy to eliminate Netanyahu from the election. It could backfire if Netanyahu found a way to get into the election; but if he cannot, I think Barak will win.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums