SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a school resource page for my high school. I have contests running, polls and lots of fun information. I get announcements made by the office telling people about the site and every computer in the school has the "home" page set tot he school page. BUT people still don't goto it. they pass it bye everytime it shows up. How can I get students to stay at the site? It seems like the kids don't care. How could they not care? I looks like a fun site and many others have reviewd the site saying it's great, but still the kids think it's no big deal.

here is the site
    http://waukeshas.cjb.net

Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off... Remove the Cardinal Background. Your page is simply unreadable.

Other than that, find out what your classmates want in a webpage? Maybe get full domain name and offer each of them free email with the proceeds donated to school funds after XX amount. Get local businesses involved and have them offer things that the students can use.

But first you have to get rid of the Bird. I can understand school pride and all but he makes it impossible to read anything on your site.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to promote your website, then get some good partnerships together. Without partnerships, you'll never accomplish anything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you try to get partnerships and make deals, you need to make sure your site is respectable and appealing to the public eye.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your site looks nice. However, it downloads slowly--at least on my connection. Perhaps people click away because they get impatient for the page to come up on their screens. Statistics show that people are very impatient on the Web and click away if the page takes longer than 10-15 seconds to download. Having a page that downloads fast is a top priority.

Since your target audience is teenaged, you may want to consider adding some fun games or a forum such as this one to share ideas, etc. You want to build a sense of community. Since your community is already established, the hard part is done. Now you need to figure out how to get it revved up.

School pictures would be nice. People like to see themselves...maybe hook up with the school paper to get weekly photos for your site. Perhaps your school paper can go online.

Have a poetry contest.

These are just a few ideas for your consideration. All-in-all, though, I think you're on a terrific start :-)
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing is to draw a list of your target audience and write down a plan of actions that you need to take within a particular time frame over a long period of time.

Building up a good network is another thing and in your case you will need to look at web sites doing something similar to your own and try to examine how the audience is relevant to yours.

And ask yourself one tough question? i visit a web site for one reason/or the other and how/why should others come to my site. This will even help you to generate ideas?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get around 20 of those kids that say they do not like your website.

Ask them what they think is wrong with it.

Ask them what they wanted to be included at that website.

Ask them examples of what they think are great websites.

Ask them what they like at those websites.

Get it ;-)

Ask them, what they like, their website, ...

Good luck, enjoy your website.

Alwyn Botha
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Posting by Alwyn Botha of http://www.leveragedsuccess.com
    Leveraged Internet Success website contains: Discussions,
    eBooks, articles, a weekly newsletter, and email courses.
    Leveraged = your maximum, exponential Internet success
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done this in the past, and it has got me some great results:

Talk with some of the teachers to see if they would mind parting with some extra credit points (around 5-10) for their respective classes. Then, make an announcement to the students that if they offer suggestions/ideas for the school's homepage, they have a chance at winning some extra credit for their toughest class. The top 3-5 suggestions would win extra points..but you'll still get lots of suggestions you can use for future updates!

Try it out, and good luck
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone, you all have great ideas!
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I think your site looks really nice I am a teacher, and if you can email me I have an idea that might be helpful to both of us to get traffic to both our sites.

merle
    Merle
    www.recipes4learning.com
    Free Recipes 4 Everything!