SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict Patrick Taylor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page size rendering in two stages

I have an html index page built with tables. The page is deeper than the screen. When I open the page, the Windows vertical scrollbar goes to a certain size and stays that size while some page images download, then when the images have downloaded the scrollbar goes smaller, to its final size. Only then (after the images have downloaded) is the page rendered to its final correct size and the bottom text become visible. I would have expected the html page structure to be detected by the browser and its full size displayed (and the bottom text to have loaded in) before the images.

Could anyone comment on this? Is there maybe a problem with my server or my page, or is there another reason maybe?

Regards,

Patrick

orange pips! orange pips!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a technical answer for this other than "this is how it is." You can view this phenomena even here at sitepointforums if you go to a post that is rather long and try to scroll before the page loads. I've seen it many times, just because I'm impatient and want to get to the postings already. :-)

Perhaps maybe something that could help is preloading your images? That would take some time off the body of your html page being hit with image loads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it also has to do with your table structure. If you have one BIG table it has to read the entire thing before rendering onscreen. If there is text, it will load as soon as the table is 'read' and the images will load later. If you simplify the table structure, at least part of the page will be visible while the rest loads.