SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im considering setting up a site that will have a camera which updates the feed every 5 or 10 seconds.

Has anyone here done this before? and if so could i view a site that has it so i can use it for reference?

I would be grateful for any advice in setting up this project and what I will need (hardware, software) and need to know (languages, technology).

Thank you so much,
    -J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't actually done this so maybe I shouldn't be responding, but...

I have seen many inexpensive cameras (less then $100) that plug `n play through a USB port. I believe these cameras come with the neccassary software to do what you're asking.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so i would just get a camera with software

plug it into a PC that is in the location Im wanting to video, and connect that PC to the internet?

would i need a high bandwidth connection, or would a 56k be enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I stuck my foot in my mouth.

I know there are cameras out there that will allow you to set-up through USB. You set-up the camera so it takes a picture every so many seconds and saves that picture to a particular directory with an auto-number. You then set-up a Web page with an embedded picture from that directory. You would probably need some type of script that calls the latest picture (i.e. the one with the highest number). At least I have heard of similar things.

Here is my actual experience over the last two days. I bought a nice Logitech USB camera for $100 at Staples. I did a quick install and found that I can take pictures or live video, but the software is configured to go through their site.

Now I am sure this could be gotten around, but I am going to take the camera back anyway. My isn't real happy about me spending the money just before Christmas with our limited, back in school cash flow.

And now you know my sad story.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com