Thread: DMOZ?

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello to everyone.

I have a huge troubles while trying to list at dmoz.org.
    I tried several times, and I still did not get any response. Google is the same story.

Does anyone have any expirience with this?

Thank you

Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an editor at ODP so maybe I can help.

Basically you need to follow some guidelines when submitting.

First, be sure to submit to the right category. Don't try to sneak into a higher category if your site doesn't warrant it, in the end it doesn't really matter, just that you're listed.

Second - Your description can have a big impact on if you're listed or not.

Generally an editor will review your site and make a description themselves based on ODP guidelines. However often when a category has no editor the high ranking editors will simply do a scan of the category every few months and the sites with correct or doable descriptions will be added, ones that aren't will not. The higher up editors can edit as many as 200,000 individual listings, so they have alot of work to do and try to spend as little time as possible on any given listing.

If the site does have an editor you can email them and ask why your site was not listed (assuming time had passed)

For your description follow these rules:

1. Your Title should simply be your title, no promotional language or description. "Sitepoint" is valid "Sitepoint - A site to help build..." is not.

2. Your description can not tell people what to do. "Come view our.." "You can search our..." "Read Articles..." are all invalid

3. No promotional language in the description, be objective. "We're #1.." "The Best..." "Everything you need.." are all invalid.

4. Dont Capitalize Every Word.

A valid description would be something like this:

"Website developement resource site. Includes articles on design, programming, promotion, and revenue generation. Also links to other resources and a message board."

Finally, if there is no editor to the category you're applying to, consider becoming one.

Chris

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello aspen,

I'm very greatful for your instructions and help. I'm also glad that I found a right person to talk about ODP .

Well, I believe that I did as you said. Since BizWhat.com is covering a various subjects, I believe I found an apropriate category, I did not use any #1..etc.

I even tried to contact an editor, but I got no response since then.

Well, only thing I can do is wait. So I will.

I am very interested in becoming an editor. It looks pretty interesting. Can you please tell me more about that?

Thank you once again.
    All The Best,
    Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?