User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of IE?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this Longhorn deal?

Hell its better for them to probably start from scratch, that way whenever they come out with something, it will probably be MET WITH STANDARDS, and will probably be even better then its competing browsers, simply because of the money and time put into microsoft products

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jag5311
    What is this Longhorn deal?
    Longhorn is the codename for the next version of Windows. This new version will sport a lot of features, but it will require all new hardware (think "Trusted Computing"). That's why the next computer I choose probably won't run Windows; I won't have to replace it in 18 months (I will most likely buy another PC when Longhorn is released though).
    Hell its better for them to probably start from scratch, that way whenever they come out with something, it will probably be MET WITH STANDARDS, and will probably be even better then its competing browsers, simply because of the money and time put into microsoft products
    I totally agree, but I don't necessarily think that the next version of IE will be better. It may or may not be. Remember that Mozilla, Opera, Apple, etc. have two years to really do some astounding things, and they're not tied exclusively to the release date of an operating system (with the possible exception of Apple).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just wondering....why would you need more than like 5-8 USB ports?

O yea...I dunno about you guys, but I really IE so I switched to Firebird, but it gave me problems so I currently use Mozilla

Santosh Sankar
    Bullish Bankers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard from a guy that used to work on the IE team at Microsoft (I'm assuming he heard from an old friend there) that IE7 will basically just be a port of IE6 to the Longhorn codebase. I hope they at least add some more CSS support in there, and XHTML 1.1 support.
    Travis Watkins - Hyperactive Coder
    My Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Alacarte - Gnome Menu Editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, right

in a nutshell, buy the stock He feels it may be going back up to its original levels
    This is good, anyone feel like committing some INSIDER TRADING!?!

Don't be skeptical, this could be considered. Although selling to save from a loss is ususally riskier.

----
    Just thought I'd warn you all...

Smitty

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis
    I've heard from a guy that used to work on the IE team at Microsoft (I'm assuming he heard from an old friend there) that IE7 will basically just be a port of IE6 to the Longhorn codebase. I hope they at least add some more CSS support in there, and XHTML 1.1 support.
    That's such a joke. Considering IE6 was a port from IE 5.5 which was a port of IE 5, I don't see MS doing anything new. They dig their own grave.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh - IE has been dead for a long time for me and anyone I breathe on!
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a good thing. Not for Microsoft, but for us Web developers. By the time Longhorn hits, alternative browsers like Mozilla will have gained a good foothold, and will finally force Microsoft into competing. Microsoft can make good stuff when they want to - it was not until Linux really hit the fan that the quality of Windows picked up.
    Last edited by M. Johansson; Sep 24, 2003 at 06:01.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    I think this is a good thing. Not for Microsoft, but for us Web developers. By the time Longhorn hits, alternative browsers like Mozilla will have gained a good foothold, and will finally force Microsoft into competing. Microsoft can make good stuff when they want to - it was not until Linux really hit the fan that the quality of Windows picked up.
    Exactly. If everybody just rolled over and died in the face of the MS monopoly, MS would get even fatter, lazier, more expensive and more buggy. But by building better mousetraps like Linux and Mozilla, we force them back to the drawing board to deliver a better product and deny them the luxury of sitting back and milking their monopoly! (well, at least to some extent :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Server 2003 and .NET are excellent products, which are the result of the pressure put on the giant from Apple and the open source movement. Competition is a very nice thing.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I have heard the comments about IE 6.01 is the last for Internet Explorer, but what is microsoft doing after that?
    Don't you know that The Browser has been dead for almost 2 years?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...et10142001.asp

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jofa
    Yeah, evidentally nobody got that memo.

"Of" != "Have" bronze trophy Jeff Lange's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...et10142001.asp
    That article doesn't concern IE specifically, it concerns every web browser.
    Who walks the stairs without a care
    It shoots so high in the sky.
    Bounce up and down just like a clown.
    Everyone knows its Slinky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu
    Yeah, evidentally nobody got that memo.

I think that article about the death of the browser is very good. It shows where the net is eventually heading, although the browser definetly have a lot of go in it left.

That article also shows what Microsoft is trying to acheive with the .NET framework, and may also hint on why they are so slack on IE development: it's a dying technology.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
    That article doesn't concern IE specifically, it concerns every web browser.
    No, that's why I wrote "The Browser" (== the concept)

Of course, some people think IE == The (Only) Browser, but that's their problem...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Longhorn is the codename for the next version of Windows. This new version will sport a lot of features, but it will require all new hardware (think "Trusted Computing"). That's why the next computer I choose probably won't run Windows; I won't have to replace it in 18 months (I will most likely buy another PC when Longhorn is released though).
    No, Longhorn will not require NGSCB (Palladium) hardware. That would have been an absolutely retarded move. It will, however, require quite a powerful computer because of the new GUI.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, that's why I wrote "The Browser" (== the concept)

Of course, some people think IE == The (Only) Browser, but that's their problem...
    Okay

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    ...it's a dying technology.
    To be sure, I don't think they're saying web browsing is a dying technology, they're saying there's this concept of the monolithic, HTML-based web browser that is the end-all of application delivery over the internet, and that concept is dying.

In it's place is web browsing as an embedded component of a more flexible application delivery platform, like what MS and Mozilla are both currently promoting. For example when you launch Mozilla you aren't launching just a browser, you're launching an application framework that could just as easily load a XUL-based GUI front end connected to a web service. I think .NET has the same basic idea, but implemented differently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think browsers still have a future. I don't think they're the best thing for application development ("hmmm...let's slow down the time it takes to get something done by doing it all over a remote connection!"), but I think the Web is still a great resource for many other things. MS may want to kill the browser as an application delivery vehicle, but there will still be a need for the Web even if not as a way to easily set up applications. The goal of the Web initially was about sharing documents and information, and I think the typical Web browsing paradigm is still good for that.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you will begin to see it more as a component of the OS rather than a separate application. This is where Microsoft has been heading for years now. Even their competitors are following the same route.

What is the difference between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer in Windows XP? There is really only one and it is important for display purposes only. The difference can be demonstrated quite easily as well.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    I think you will begin to see it more as a component of the OS rather than a separate application. This is where Microsoft has been heading for years now. Even their competitors are following the same route.
    Yeah; look at the pervasiveness of Konqueror on Linux/KDE setups. It does EVERYTHING.
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    What is the difference between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer in Windows XP?
    Toolbars and the status bar?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even in Win98 it is the same app. (View -> Explorer Bar -> Folders)
    Hello World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And even then, if you type an Internet address into the address bar in Windows Explorer, it will basically show up as IE, minus the "Microsoft Internet Explorer" in the title bar

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Toolbars and the status bar?
    Not really... The toolbar of Explorer changes depending on what document you have showing. If it is a webpage, it context is with that. If it is a word document, then you have Word's toolbar. A PDF, and you get Reader's toolbar.

The only difference is the parameters passed to the OS to determine which Explorer bars to show. In Windows Explorer, it shows the folder or search bar and in Internet Explorer it shows what ever bars you have open. Type C: into Internet Explorer's address bar and you are browsing your file system, which uses HTML files and activeX controls to display the information. Type in a web address in Windows Explorer and you are in an Internet Browser. Drag and HTML file to your desktop and you have it accessible directly through active desktop.

There is so many more levels that this can be taken to with Whiteboard and collaboration applications and even remote viewing.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------