SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy Powell, who is a member here, runs Dumblaws.com.

Last week, I got the December issue of Maxim magazine (a men's magazine in the states). While going through the magazine this evening, I saw a site that looked familiar.
    IN the back of the magazine, they always list a group of sites as the "Maxim Web Guide". In this issue they list Dumblaws.com as one of these sites.

Maxim is a large publication and this mention might well mean a lot of traffic.

Once again I would like to congratulate Andy on getting his site mentioned in a large publication such as this.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the mention!! I wouldn't really count on much traffic though. My site was mentioned in Rolling Stone (circulation 17 million?) and my traffic didn't increase at all. It could depend on how much they say about the site and what they say I suppose.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~Andy~ that is a terrific promotional opportunity for your website ~

F Y I ~ if anyone could see my .net magazine that I buy monthly they might think twice about questioning traffic when your website is mentioned in a major print magazine. My current .net issue has "post-its, tags, pieces of paper, page tops bent, paper clips attached, etc" throughout the pages whenver I see a new website that I want to check. Not only the current month's issue...I keep past issues piled on the floor!

T h e n I rip out pages and add URLs to my steno-pad, that is always by my computer, so that I can visit all the interesting and intriguing websites that I find. Add to that all the other magazines that I pick up where URLs can be found (not only computer mags), my reputation of bookmarking resources constantly and then posting interesting websites in the SP forums...this can add up to be quite a bit of web site traffic!
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regardless or whether or not there is increased traffic, it is still an honor to have your site recognized. That would be very cool. Congrats.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Andy! That's great news You should be very proud!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DumbLaws.com should get some manner of public service award... lol... it's a great site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I know we were in the Apr 2000 issue, but again in December? That's incredible -- I had no idea! The April mention boosted traffic *very* significantly, hopefully this will do the same. (Woohoo! Extra Christmas money -- my friends will be thrilled ) A random fact about the last Maxim article we had: my dad didn't want me to buy the magazine, so he bought it and cut out the page for me (I was 15 at the time). I thought that was a little amusing.

By the way, if you ever get a chance, come chat with us in the Forums -- I'd love to have you all in there!

Also, watch for a new design coming up soon -- you can get a sneak preview at http://www.dumblaws.com/test.

Thanks for the support!
    Andy Powell
    www.dumblaws.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy,

You'll also be proud to know that dumblaws.com was just mentioned in the December 2000 issue of bLink, which is Earthlink's member magazine. Congratulations again! Here's what they had to say about your site:

Weird Web

www.dumblaws.com - Did you know its illegal to address a pig as Napoleon in France? That carrying an ice cream cone in your back pocket is against the law in Alabama? These and other strange laws are highlighted at Dumblaws.com. Look them up by country, state or city and stay on the right side of the law- no matter how silly.

Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was mentioned in the Earthlink email a few years ago. It made a great traffic boost and my ISP very angry at me

Owen