SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone use the Opera Browser?

I don't use Opera 4.02 too much, but for today I decided to launch it. While I was browsing the web, there were alot of sites and pages that Opera "destroyed" the HTML in the those pages including Sitepoint.com. Does anyone experience the same thing? I know not many web users use Opera, but I was just curious.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, in fact I experience it almost daily. The reason is that since Opera does the rendering by the standards, which should by used and followed when creating a web site. Unfortunately, not many have the knowledge of creating a web site that is valid and contains valid HTML code.

If the don't follow the standards correctly, then Opera won't show it correctly. Simple as that.

And actually the problem with SitePoint and Opera can be fixed with settings the Browser Identification to MSIE 5.0, from File -> Preferences. The problem has been tracked to the JavaScript used in advertising rotater script (it basically identifies browsers and if it detects IE, it will use another code than if it finds out that there is another browser).

Still I don't want to change browser to IE or equilevant, since I'm used to use Opera and it's rather faster than IE.

I'm not sure how the latest Opera 5 will act in these kind of situations, perhaps I'll add a comment about it to this thread later, since I'm about to install it.

Edit: It seems that the problem with Opera and SitePoint is now fixed. You can let your Browser Identification to Opera and it will still show the banner ad code where it should be. Definitely a plus.
    <Edited by hmahonen on 12-07-2000 at 01:40 AM>

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never underestimate the power of Wayne.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though the thing is that many other sites using for example FlyCast network (or is it EngageMedia nowadays?) banner ad serving code, they show all messed up if browser identification is Opera instead of MSIE.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, notice that some sites show messed up in Opera. I use to think that the coder of that site probably didn't do a good job with the HTML...
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Downloaded Opera 5. Not bad at all. It's an improvement over the previous, and it doesn't break up the HTML too much. But I would say IE 5.5 still tops it. However I would take Opera over Netscape anyday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh huh, I just downloaded Opera 5 and really like it!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just downloaded Opera 5 and from now on will be using it as my main browser - its faster than IE and takes less RAM.
    The last straw for me was when IE5.5 was taking about 80Mb RAM according to Win2k's task manager - then I vowed to find something better

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for all who are wondering, "but I thought Opera cost money?" here's something to consider: Opera 5 is now available free for download at http://www.opera.com - the only catch is they display a banner ad in the program, but it hardly slows up browsing at all. Definitely check it out!