SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

My current computer (AMD K6-2 350, 32 MB RAM, Win98) has decided to throw in the towel this afternoon. One time I reboot cleanly, the next time I get a wonderful error msg on startup saying 'memory test fail' (and the 32768KB counter skipped from 24000KB onwards - jumped straight to 32768KB). Try to start it up anyway; Windows protection error. Boot in Safe Mode - says HIMEM.SYS is missing, even though I check and it's there. Which means it's probably corrupted.

Re-install Win98; still Windows protection error.

Which leads me to believe I'm having severe problems with my physical RAM or XMS somewhere.

Short of installing fresh new RAM myself, anyone else have any particular options? (still trying to find the Recovery disk I made when I re-installed Win98 a few weeks back)
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also believe that has something to do with RAM, so if you have a spare bank, try it. RAM is pretty cheap now!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you reinstalled Windows, did you reformat the computer or just install over the top of your old copy of Windows?

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the exact same problem in a brand new computer (that I ended up sending back) that I got a few months ago. Same error, and it was due to faulty RAM that wouldn't work.

BUT, why not just find some loose change in your couch and buy a brand new computer? You upgrade to like a 750MHz computer or something. Sooner or later your current computer will just keep breaking down.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds very much like a memroy problem. If you have an AMIBIOS, the bleep codes may give you a more detailed analysis. A while a go, my computer wouldn't boot. I just started replacing everything until I got it working again, which was quite costly as it happened to be the motherboard, but I ended up with a fairly new PC

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your advice.

James : I tried just a partial re-install last night before I went off to orchestra practice (partial = re-install Windows over the top of the old version) and it still threw up the Windows Protection error. So yeah, that pretty much confirmed my suspicions that it was either the RAM that's completely choked or a problem with the motherboard.

Mind you, the RAM I have is about 2-3 years old now, so I guess it's probably around its use-by date (with the way I've treated it anyway ). And I guess the entire computer needs a bit of an upgrade (even the Seagate HDD).

That said, it means now I'll need to drag the comp to my local shop and get them to fix either the RAM or motherboard. *groan* There goes another $200-500 out of my account... Though I guess I can upgrade to a new Duron and motherboard

Thanks again.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have an ATX case, I would get an asus a7v (you can later upgrade to a tbird) for about 100 and 128mb pc133 for 56 and a duron 800 for 65. In $ I guess this is about $150.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone I know was going to buy an AMD K6 chip in their laptop but got recommended against it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your problems, BC. I just installed new RAM and thankfully, didn't have any problems like that.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update : turned out to be faulty RAM alright. Switched it with a new 64MB RAM chip and rolled along very nicely. Then I had a new motherboard problem yesterday morning (but that was a completely different problem which I managed to troubleshoot reasonably quickly).

Thank you to all for your concern