SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Jenny McDermott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Section 508 requirements and server scripts retrieving from dbs

Hi, I'm the designer for a site at www.experioronline.com. I deal with the non-secure side of the site, but I'm also helping the Real Programmers who maintain interactives services on our secure server. They write ASP scripts to SQLServer databases using VisualInterdev. There are also Javascripts on some pages, and some of them do cause the display of rendered html content to change. We have a new need to get at least a part of the site 508 compliant.

We have two types of online interactive Web services, one that allows testtakers to register for an exam online, and another that lets insurance agents and companies and course providers do various things regarding Continuing Education requirements. For example, https://secure.experioronline.com/ce...t.asp?STATE=SC allows agents to look up lists of approved courses. They use the search form to set up filters (or use it in default configuration) and the ASP script retrieves the courses from the database. Similar things occur with the other services, and the Course Scheduling and Roster Submission services allow providers to enter data into the database as well.

So, in the part of the 508 specs where it says...:

"When pages utilize scripting languages to display content or to create interface elements, the information provided by the script shall be identified with functional text that can be read by assistive technology."

...what, if anything, do we need to do to make the interactive pages compliant? Obviously there ain't gonna be no "noscript" equivalent for these features. Do I need to be concerned about this? Does anyone know where I can get help with this issue?
    "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating
    the taste of the American public." -- H.L. Mencken

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it mean you need to comment the included portions of code, possibly? I work at a government agency. I'll see if I can find out from the web guys what that means for 508 here.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know the book
    Accessibility for Everybody: Understanding the Section 508 Accessibility Requirements
    b John Paul Mueller?

I guess you will get a lot of help there.

ISBN: 1-59059-086-4

SitePoint Enthusiast Jenny McDermott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Webnauts, I'll go check Amazon to see if they've got it.
    "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating
    the taste of the American public." -- H.L. Mencken

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny McDermott
    They write ASP scripts to SQLServer databases using VisualInterdev.
    jenny, just to clarify: when 508 (or WAI WCAG for that matters) talks about scripts and scripting, it means client side (e.g. javascript), not server side. on the server, you're free to do whatever you want, as long as the output (html, javascript, etc) sent to the user is then compliant with accessibility requirements. in your case, from what i understand, this means: make sure the forms work even if javascript is disabled...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com