User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gracefully handling exiting visitors with sessions

Here is the situation:
    Site my.example.com is a secured website used for communication between Company Example and its Sales Representatives. The only way to gain access to my.example.com is via username/password authentication. The users, permissions and PHP sessions all work well, however there is a problem.
    Consider this example: Sales Rep Aliana logs in, browses the site a while and downloads documents she needs. Next, instead of clicking the logout button, she visits some external site (let's make it news.google.com). After she reads her news, she suddenly remembers something she needed to do at my.example.com. Clicking her bookmark for the site, she is whisked back only to be greeted by a nebulous PHP error (which she doesn't understand) and the site does not display. In fact, nothing she does makes the site display.
    If you are following along, perhaps you already understand what is happening. It appears that once a user leaves me.example.com, without first clicking logout, the session is left in a half-open state (the best term I can think for it). Now the above description with Aliana only occurs after some time passes (figuring the session likely expired), however the following also invokes the error:
    • Closing the browser without logging out
    • Visiting external sites, letting time pass and using the back button to return to my.example.com

Currently I am doing the following to alleviate the error:
    PHP Code:
    if(!isset($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']) && isset($_SESSION['UserProfile'])){

//Visitor is not coming from within the Site

session_destroy();

sleep(1);

header("Location: http://my.example.com");
      } 
    This check solves the error, but doesn't seem to be the most graceful. My question then, what is everyone else doing under like circumstances?

For the curious, my PHP setup:
    • Server side sessions (no browser cookies by CIO edict)
    • Transparent SID used
    • Apache on LInux (if that makes a difference)
    • Default PHP session handler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use cookies instead of sessions.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To rsdl: "no browser cookies by CIO edict" - Tzicha

Thats an odd problem. I would suggest creating a very basic session script just to see how they react to the same conditions.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't this the way it is. After typing me message and submitting, the possible reason for this oddity came to me. The bulk of the site uses object-oriented code. The PHP error message that is produced by the above comditions essentially says 'Hey bum developer! You forgot to include the file with the class definition before using an instance of it.' That typical problem that occurs with Session stored object instances.... I will investigate that and see what I did/forgot. Thanks for reading. If that is what happened, I'll post it here for those who may search this subject in the future.