User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Sum fields in PHP form using JS

I am trying to get the total of 3 form fieds displayed in another form field which will update as numbers are entered. This is a php form and the all the amounts in these fields (including the total) need to be stored into the DB through the PHP on submission.

I have no idea about JS and so don't even know where to begin and I obviously can't submit the form through the JS as it needs to go through the PHP.

I hope this makes sense and that someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chilli you to need to have onChange handlers on the input fields , so that when a number is added to a field, it totals the sum othe 3 fields and then diplays that in the other field. but you might want to just calculate the total with php, server side.
    why would you store the total when it can be calculated with the others fields, its a waste of space?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your reply, but as I said I don't know anything about JS and wouldn't know were to start with using onChange handlers or anything else.

The reason for it is because it is what the client has requested - he wants it visible on the form and all the form contents are emailed and stored within his DB when submitted which he then contects to using Access for his own system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    use the search button above. search for my name & onchange there should be a recent example there. I think poop-shoot is in the thread also.

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still