SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Words with Dignity - describing persons with a disability

    Terms suggested to describe persons with a disability: http://wats.ca/resources/wordswithdignity/35

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    1,829
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice suggestions there.

  3. #3
    Matt Williams revsorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Planet Vorcon-5 in sector cx-37-b
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solution I prefer when building websites for clients is to give them content management so they can change the terminology they use to fit the mood of the moment. If you try and take on the job of selecting politically correct phraseology yourself and you're not an expert in the field you're likely to end up in a world of pain.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

  4. #4
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revs_org
    The solution I prefer when building websites for clients is to give them content management so they can change the terminology they use to fit the mood of the moment. If you try and take on the job of selecting politically correct phraseology yourself and you're not an expert in the field you're likely to end up in a world of pain.
    I am sorry, but I do not think that in this case it depends on the mood of the client. If a client would ask me for example to add on his/her web site the word "criple" for people with disabilities, I would deny that, no matter what my loss would be.

    I guess the is a matter of morals and respect to other human beings!!! And I would not sell my morals for any price on the world.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard trampt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone is too damn sensitive. There was an essay question on a state exam about the first blind man to climb mount everest and how he over came adversity and was able to do it. The questions was later removed because it was thought that made the blind man seem disabled or handicapped.

    I'm impressed that a blind man could climb mount everest when I know that I NEVER could. The fact that question was removed, proves everyone needs to relax. I had a roommate who is in a wheelchair and he HATED when non-disabled people fought for "HIS" rights especially when he thought is was something stupid like the above senario.

    If a client wants to write something, you can suggest an alternative and they can either be inclined to agree or disagree with you. Obviously by your signature, Webnauts, you are probably a little closer to the subject that I probably am. But to turn down a job because you believe someone shouldn't use the word crippled is silly.

  6. #6
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the404.com
    I think everyone is too damn sensitive. There was an essay question on a state exam about the first blind man to climb mount everest and how he over came adversity and was able to do it. The questions was later removed because it was thought that made the blind man seem disabled or handicapped.

    I'm impressed that a blind man could climb mount everest when I know that I NEVER could. The fact that question was removed, proves everyone needs to relax. I had a roommate who is in a wheelchair and he HATED when non-disabled people fought for "HIS" rights especially when he thought is was something stupid like the above senario.

    If a client wants to write something, you can suggest an alternative and they can either be inclined to agree or disagree with you. Obviously by your signature, Webnauts, you are probably a little closer to the subject that I probably am. But to turn down a job because you believe someone shouldn't use the word crippled is silly.
    You are right! I am though much closer to the subject.
    My girlfriend due to a train accident as 11 years old (now she is 24), have lost her leg below the knee! How can I use the word criple? By the way I would never call someboby something, that I would not like to be called myself! Therefore, I cannot support something like that!

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard trampt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't call her crippled because she is not crippled. However my uncle who had MS and has lost all ability to control his limbs and has trouble speaking is crippled. Would I say, "Hey cripple". No, but I would say that MS has crippled him. It's not the words, its the context.

  8. #8
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the404.com
    I wouldn't call her crippled because she is not crippled. However my uncle who had MS and has lost all ability to control his limbs and has trouble speaking is crippled. Would I say, "Hey cripple". No, but I would say that MS has crippled him. It's not the words, its the context.
    OK. I think there was a misunderstanding?

  9. #9
    SitePoint Wizard trampt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's just let it go.

  10. #10
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the404.com
    Let's just let it go. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    You are right! We just better get back to work!

  11. #11
    Matt Williams revsorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Planet Vorcon-5 in sector cx-37-b
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends what sort of client you have. In our case we built a site for an NHS trust and had hours of meetings where they discussed the fine points of how to phrase 'mental illness' or 'cognitive disability' and so on.

    As I predicted during my first meeting, over time their terminology has shifted quite significantly based on the current trends in political correctness.

    The thing I was certain of was that as a web consultant, while I could voice an opinion, I was in no way able to tell the NHS how they should talk to their audience. They deal with the issue every day.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

  12. #12
    Matt Williams revsorg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Planet Vorcon-5 in sector cx-37-b
    Posts
    1,136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I'm sorry about what happened to your girlfriend Webnauts.
    work: revs | ecru
    reviews: films | mp3s
    projects: Glastonbury Tor | London IT support

  13. #13
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revs_org
    By the way, I'm sorry about what happened to your girlfriend Webnauts.
    No problem revs_org!

  14. #14
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On topic?
    I would like to bring everyones attention to the following article of Jakob Nielsen.

    Treating Users with Disabilities as People: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20011111.html

  15. #15
    SitePoint Wizard Ian Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Beyond yonder
    Posts
    2,384
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't particularly like these types of "suggested terms," personally. They tend to make for some awfully sterilized writing and don't really teach you anything about how you should write about disability.

    I've been lookin' for this thing for the better part of a month. Despite the mis-capitalization in the title and the fact that it's sixteen years old, it still seems pretty relevant today--it's not perfect though. Herewith, some topic sentences from a list excerpted from the imaginatively titled brochure Guidelines for Reporting and Writing About People With Disabilities printed in '87 by The Research & Training Center on Independent Living:
    1. Do not focus on a disability unless it is crucial to a story.
    2. Do not portray people with disabilities who succeed as superhuman....
    3. Do not sensationalize a disability by saying afflicted with, crippled with, suffers from, victim of, and so on....
    4. Do not label people as part of a disability group, such as the retarded....
    5. Put people first, not their disability....
    6. Emphasize abilities not limitations....
    7. Do not imply disease when discussing disabilities that result from a prior disease episode....
    8. Show persons with disabilities as active members of society....
    9. "People" is preferred over "persons" when referring to a large segment of a population, i.e., people with mental retardation....
    I've attached a scan of the inner pages of the brochure which fills in what I omitted and has an additional section, "Appropriate terminology for specific disabilities" (some of the terms are already out'o date; i.e. "small stature").

    ~~Ian
    Attached Files Attached Files

  16. #16
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are other resources I found:

    Guidelines for Reporting and Writing about People with Disabilities: http://www.lsi.ku.edu/lsi/internal/guidelines.html

    Guidelines in PDF: http://www.infopeople.org/training/p...Guidelines.pdf
    Guidelines in DOC: http://www.infopeople.org/training/p...Guidelines.doc

  17. #17
    SitePoint Zealot jadmadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice

  18. #18
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyHTTP
    very nice
    Thanks EasyHTTP!

  19. #19
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another "On-Topic" excellent resource.

    Clear and Simple Writing Style http://www.umuc.edu/distance/odell/c...b-writing.html


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •