User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding Mike!
    it will make your menus so much more accessible.

drop a word when you think you have every thing ironed out!

Cheers Leon

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Leon!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hey mike

I have already started to working with it on my development site.
    I have found a bug Thought - witch with my "non existent" js skills I can't work out. I'm sure it will be a snap for you thought.

Check out http://www.vicnet.net.au/vicnet2003/tester.htm

I think the links on the menu items are preventing the js script from picking up the mouseover.

if you roll over from the bottom to the top you get nothing but if you come from the side - bingo. It also seems to cause the child boxes from deactivating when you change parent.

I hope all this makes some sense to you.

Cheers Leon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rewrote the event handling and put <A> elements in all the labels.

It still needs some work - but it's gettin there

xMenu4

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

That does the job fine, the work you have done is about 98% there,. Gee I wish I had your talent Mike... (I'm sucking up cause I'm gonna ask you for more help very soon, like right now!)

have a look what happen when I got stuck in to it - http://www.vicnet.net.au/vicnet2003/tester.htm

Their dose not seem to be a way of getting rid of that space cause by .xmBox with out stuffing up other <li>'s contained in the next set of <ul>s that call the class .xmBox (I have coloured it blue for effect). Your probably aware of this anyway, just thought it would be useful to address for customisation purposes.

Great work!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, nice menu but can't navigate with tab key, but I'm sure that's not a problem for you
    Search engines will like it on a manual check. ( more disabled user friendly )
    LiveScript: Putting the "Live" Back into JavaScript
    if live output_as_javascript else output_as_html end if

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Markdidj,

I may eventually add keyboard navigation support but there are some other things I want to add to it first. I had not thought about using the tab key - I was thinking of using the arrow keys (after the menu is 'focused') to move among the sub-menus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Dwyer
    That does the job fine, the work you have done is about 98% there...
    It's working pretty well - but it's not yet what I consider a 'release' version. Thanks very much for your help in testing it.
    Their dose not seem to be a way of getting rid of that space cause by .xmBox ...
    It's caused by your css. You've given LIs a bottom border which allows us to see that the A elements are wider than 130px. I suspect the problem to be the padding of the A elements. When developing the css for this menu you have to really keep in mind the CSS box model:

Total width (offsetWidth) = border-left-width + padding-left-width + width + padding-right-width + border-right-width

And the same goes for heights.

In developing my last couple of menus I've gravitated toward a design philosophy which allows the menu appearance to be almost completely controlled by css. The javascript positions the boxes and hides/shows the boxes in response to mouse events - but it doesn't resize anything. The js applies the css class names you supply. I think I'll probably change this to work like xMenu3, so that the css class names are applied 'on load'. This allows you to have downgrade mode class names in the inline html and the js will apply the dynamic class names if it decides not to downgrade.

Thanks again for your help, Leon.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mike
    thanks for the tip, it took a bit of nutting out but I got there.
    http://www.vicnet.net.au/vicnet2003/tester2.htm
    I also managed to get the lay out adjust to work with it - slowly beginning get the hang of this js stuff.

again thanks for your help, and drop us a line when you think you think xmenu4 is complete.

http://www.vicnet.net.au/vicnet2003/tester2.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Dwyer
    ...and drop us a line when you think you think xmenu4 is complete.
    Not quite 'complete' but I've made many improvements. I'm anxious to see how this version holds up on different platforms

thanks

SitePoint Evangelist Dave Morton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very much like xmenu4, Mike! you've gone an incredibly long way since I first saw cbe! Kudos, Dude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dave!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Mike, X- and CBE users, hello for the first time,

the xmenu4_1.html example (x3141_cbe50b_z2.zip) implements myMenu1, using a menuMarker.

Question: Is it easy to implement myMenu1, myMenu2, ... with different menuMarkers on the same page?

That's where I stopped now, and want to know if this makes sense; maybe it doesn't, maybe it is very easy, or maybe there's a long way to go...

Actually, I wanted to implement an HTML- select form, that wouldn't have a display arrow on its right, but instead would look like a link and display change options on mouseover. That could be a myBar. The thing is... I'm already using the exemple one on that page!

In any case, I guess you want xmenu to allow for any number of menus per page, Mike...

Thank you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Javi, welcome to SitePoint Forums!

And Thanks for using X!

Quote Originally Posted by Javi
    Question: Is it easy to implement myMenu1, myMenu2, ... with different menuMarkers on the same page?

That's where I stopped now, and want to know if this makes sense; maybe it doesn't, maybe it is very easy, or maybe there's a long way to go...
    I position the menu at the menuMarker (a relatively positioned element in 'the flow' of html) because when js is disabled I wanted the menu ULs to appear in a different place.

Yes, you can have more than one menuMarker and position the corresponding menu at the marker's position.

I have to admit that I have not tested that code with multiple menus on a page (altho I did design the code to support that). In particular, the "Menu Manager" object is pretty much a "stub" and needs to be further developed.

At any rate, I'd be glad to take a look at your page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, you answer fast Thanks!

I have no page yet (see my introduction to the forum).
    I'll see what I can do with menuMarker. I still have to figure out what is what.

Any more exemples will help. But, I'll be pacient. It's fun anyway to try myself.