SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you sell your own advertising?

If so, how did you do it?

For the second time I've been shafted by an advertising network and am considering doing it all myself.

Is it worth it? What are the pitfalls?

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's worth it.

Personally, I make more money from selling my own advertising then using Burst! Media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to know what software you use to serve ads, bill customers, etc.

It seems to me to be a massive undertaking but worth it in the end.

<Edited by Podge on 12-06-2000 at 07:29 AM>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the easiest is just a flat fee for X-number of weeks or months. If you get into charging per CPM that's where you need a good script for control.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell some of my ads myself, and I use fuseAds from E-zonemedia to serve and track my ads. It requires ColdFusion. It costs $99, and I think that was a good investment instead of some of the other offerings where you have to pay a certain fee every month. Anandtech uses fuseAds to serve 20+ millions ads per month.

In addition, I use Live Stats to get detailed statistics from my website.

I've set up a simple document in Word for invoices. I've not had any complaints yet.

regards,

Vidar

Vidar Langberget
    Editor
    www.templeoftech.com

Lord of the Underworld
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mkaufmann
    I dont see any ads on your page... except for commision junction ads.....

While I have sold my own ads in the past, I've taken a break because
    a) its dang hard in todays advertising climate
    b) it takes up so much time and my site is fledgling

Adam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a combination. I sell ads for my main page and newsletter and use Burst! Media to fill all other pages. I have found this to work fine for the time being, although we plan to go one way or the other soon (probably selling the entire site ourselves). You make more money selling your ads because you don't have to meet the ad company like Burst! and pay them a percentage of it. However, you have to be patient and be willing and able to sell and answer customers' questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell banner advertising on my gaming site, Top MUD Sites (www.topmudsites.com). It's a very niche topic, and there aren't many sites of this type out there, so I do well. I charge a flat fee for one month of advertising, in which I add their banner to my banner rotation.

I'm still looking to find an ad network that will accept my humor site, Insane Pictures (www.insanepictures.com), but unfortunately I've been denied by each one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested to know what software you people who sell your own advertising use. Currently, I just do it manually and keep track of things in a simple spreadsheet. Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look in my profile and checkout my site, my rotation script is called Rotate It

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply write to potential advertisers asking them if they want to advertise on my site. A couple have said yes, a couple have said no, and most don't bother replying. I simply use my HitBox stats and let them have a look at them - they seem to be happy to do that.

I also offer a rate for flat fees e.g. a month or something. That's how I do all my newsletter advertising, as the number of subscribers only goes up by 20-30 each week.

I'd always prefer CPM to CPC or CPL advertising.
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Graeme
    No, I'm not talking about which program you use to rotate your ads, I'm talking about the software you use to keep track of money and sales (if any).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by M. James
    Originally posted by Graeme
    No, I'm not talking about which program you use to rotate your ads, I'm talking about the software you use to keep track of money and sales (if any).
    I think the best thing is to just ask a cheque directly from your advertiser... about everyone can send cheques, and there will only be a delay of a few days, or at most a week.... credit card accepting programs only charge you more money, sometimes up to 10% ... or you have to pay monthly plus $x.xx / transaction...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when (not often) i sale ads on my sites it's by the month. if they want tracking (banner script), it's extra $.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best thing is to just ask a cheque directly from your advertiser... about everyone can send cheques, and there will only be a delay of a few days, or at most a week.... credit card accepting programs only charge you more money, sometimes up to 10% ... or you have to pay monthly plus $x.xx / transaction...
    I used to just accept cheques, but they took too long to get delivered. Now I give the relevant bank details:

Name
    Bank name
    Branch address
    Account number
    Sort code

I think that's all - that's all I can remember off the top of my head...
    Football-Punter.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *sigh* My question wasn't about what kind of payments you all use, but if you use any softwares to KEEP TRACK of those payments and your advertisers...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M.James - I was replying to another question, as I quoted.

To answer your question - well, I don't have enough advertisers to justify some sort of software track it. I just jot it down in notepad (advertiser, no. of hits / weeks etc.).
    Football-Punter.co.uk

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i accept checks, money orders, or credit cards. i don't start showing their ads until payment is made in full.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surfing around and found this thread and figured I'd ask...

How do you attract/let advertisers know to take ads out on your site and how do you know how much to charge?

My videogame site (http://www.wrasslin.com/nomercy/) gets 6500-7000 uniques a day with some 75,000 pageviews per day and I know I could make a ton more money on my own than I could otherwise.

I just don't know *how* to get advertisers or what to charge them.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    <Edited by WestWingSW on 12-29-2000 at 10:56 PM>

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Westwing.

I think that the best thing to do is look at advertisers that sponsor other sites similar to your own, and then e-mail whatever contact address they give, asking to be put in contact with their marketing manager or advertising department regarding advertising on ???.com. Also have a mediakit on your site, and put a link to it on your front page, in case any potential advertisers are surfing (likely... NOT) and decide to advertise on your site. When you get sponsors, make sure that you do more than they ask for... to keep them sweet ;-). I mention their special offers on my newsletter, plug them in my forums etc. It all helps.

Good luck hunting - the rewards are definitely worth it.
    Football-Punter.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WestWingSW, it might help you to hire an advertising sales person - but that may not be something you can do - I could understand. Just try a network like http://www.burstmedia.com and they let you have a page for potential advertisers to request more info and express interest. They handle it all, you just put their code on your pages.