User Tag List

SitePoint Member georgecrawford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General CSS advice please!

Hi,

I would love a bit of help with my site please. Im experimenting with css at the moment, and would like my site to be accessible to as many platforms and browsers as possible.

The site (work in progress) is here: http://goc.homeip.net (may not be online 24/7 sorry!).

I would appreciate some feedback from different browser/platform users. Ive been testing as much as I can (Virtual PC with 3 OSs, and also OS 9) and I notice that there is a major problem in early Explorer versions in OS 9 the float div is shifted to the right by a whole browser windows worth! Im trying to implement a simple centered frame is this a known issue for IE 4 and 4.5 on the mac? Can anyone see what I've done wrong?

[Advisor edit: Please do not solicit any reviews. You can do so in the Website Reviews forum, though you have to be sure to read the guidelines (basically, you have to review 3 other websites first).]

Thanks

George
    Last edited by redemption; Sep 7, 2003 at 05:40. Reason: Implicit solicitation of website review

Ensure you finish what you sta bronze trophy John Colby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks OK in Mozilla 1.5a, Firebird 0.6.1, Opera 7.2 and IE on PC. There are one or two small points:

In IE the width doesn't resize when you move from home to another page, in allthe others it does.

You need to refresh when moving away from home in Firebird and moz.

The grey on grey contrast is a tad shallow. The sidebar mav links are OK but the mouseovers at the bottom navlinks are barely visible. The text is not really visible enough for easy reading.

Lastly, I didn't know that Elgar wrote a trio for piano, guitar and double bass! And certainly not as Op 81! Or went up as far as Op 633!
    John
    No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission
    or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and
    some may have enjoyed the experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments.

I'm confused about the width thing - I specify 700 px for the #frame div, but it's width seems to alter slightly for each page. Can anyone tell me why?

Don't understand your comment re. Firebird and Mozilla - is that beacuse of the #frame div's width again, or another problem?

I'll change the colours later, it's the more hardcore stuff I want to solve first!

Also, the whole site is filled with 'dummy data' - nothing is true (including the rep list, which I invented!).

Ensure you finish what you sta bronze trophy John Colby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An experiment for you.

Could you try to set your width as a percentage instead of a fixed width - then I'll test again? What happens with moz and fb is that the box edge does not complete on the left hand side adjacent to the menus - if you refresh it does.

And yes, I had spotted the dummy content
    John
    No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission
    or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and
    some may have enjoyed the experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - #frame is 70% wide