SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone,

I recently discovered these forums and it's a great resource for amateur webmasters like me to get a site up and running. I have a small English news site on Hong Kong entertainment that I want to turn commercial to help me pay for expenses and I'm hoping that someone out there can give me a few pointers.

As has been suggested in earlier posts, I am going to create a media kit / page telling potential advertisers about the advertising opportunities that my site offers. I am, however, uncertain about how much I should charge CPM. I get an average of 2,500 impressions / 800 uniques per day. How much do you think I could reasonably charge?

Instead of charging CPM, I am thinking of just charging a basic amount per month regardless of the number of impressions. Is asking for US$300 per month too high?

I am, also, thinking of joining an ad network. *Roughly, how much revenue could I reasonably expect given my current traffic? *I notice that Burst! Media has been suggested and I will certainly give them a look. *However, has anyone checked out advertising.com? *Are they any good?

My site can be found at: http://www.hkentreview.com/

Thanks,
    S. Leung

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums.

I would suggest taking a look at your competitors' prices and rates to get a good idea of what you should charge. Don't copy their prices, but it will allow you to be competitive and hopefully be successful. If anything, it should at least give you a general idea or price range. There is also an Internet.com site that is resourceful in figuring this sort of thing out, but the address has slipped my mind. Another option you have is to just let your banner ad company sell the ads for your site and you not worry about it. Burst! does this, for example.

Charging a flat monthly rate can work. You can make a lot of money from it, but it might drive advertisers away who want results-driven advertising.

Regarding how much you can make, you can't make much compared to what you used to be able to make back when dot-coms were popping up daily, not dying daily like today. Rates are at an all-time low, unfortunately for hard-working small companies.

Advertising.com and Burst! Media are in two seperate leagues. Advertising.com isn't as good in my mind because they do not offer a lot of the features that companies like Burst! do. For example, they do not let you control their default ads they run and they do not let you choose the ads you want/don't want, etc. I recommend Burst! and FastClick.com.

Good luck!