SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that a few Standard Internet employees check this board regularly and, seeing as there message board does not process new registrations, I have decided to address them here.

I have been examining affiliate programs and CPM advertising networks for a while in anticipation of my site launch in early January. Of all of the programs I have examined, Standard Internet's seem the most puzzling. While some people extol the virtues of their programs in multiple forums and report receiving payments in a timely manner, others claim to have sent many clicks to their sites and never receiving a single check. The consensus seems to be that they violated the terms of service in some way, but were never notified of this fact by Standard Internet and were allowed to continue sending people to SI's sites through their affiliate programs.

It seems that SI is profiting from these clickthroughs and continuing to receive them without notifying the webmasters that they are in violation of the ToS or asking that they change their links accordingly. Their business plan might even require these unpaid clicks in order to compensate their other affiliates. If this is the case, I will have a significant risk of not being paid as I will likely offer a large volume of traffic to their network.

As such, I was wondering whether SI would be willing to review their affiliate links on a webmaster's site on request, and certify that they are not in violation of the terms of service prior to that version of the site going live. THe webmaster would be responsible for notifying SI of any changes to the links in the future so that it could be certified again. This would offer the webmaster an assurance that he will be compensated for the traffic he sends them while allowing SI to verify that the site complies with their terms and conditions.

I also have two specific questions about the AllClicks ToS:

"You may not open the Allclicks.com URL in a new browser window, unless your site is built with frames. If that's the case you must open Allclicks.com in a new fullsized window. Also, you may not open our links inside of frames, ever."

Does the AllClicks URL have to be opened in a new browser window or can the target=_top or target=_parent tags be used to ensure that the CHTF site does not open inside a frame. This would allow the webmaster to use an AllClicks link as an "exit" or "session end" link that would allow the visitor to leave the webmaster's site without having to type anything in the address bar.

Also, the ToS states that 3rd party banner exchanges cannot be used to open the AllClicks link. However, I plan to use a banner exchange at the bottom of my site and some of my visitors will come through the exchange. If this happpens, and then one of those visitors leaves my site and an AllClicks exit window loads, am I in violation of the ToS?

Thanks in advance,
    Lenny

BTW, my site will be targetted at Webmasters and if I have a positive experience with your programs and see that other webmasters are similarly pleased, I may be able to bring more referrals into your programs. One other question: all of my pages are dynamically generated by CGI scripts using cookies to authenticate return visitors and creating different pages depending on the visitor. Will this present a problem (I will tell you how to find and examine all of your links, though)?

SitePoint Addict AllClicks Robert's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AdSwappers,

We closed our forums to new members because we were having a spamming problem. It should be reopened by the time you read this.

I'll be happy to addres your points:
    >>>>
    The consensus seems to be that they violated the terms of service in some way, but were never notified of this fact by Standard Internet and were allowed to continue sending people to SI's sites through their affiliate programs.
    It seems that SI is profiting from these clickthroughs and continuing to receive them without notifying the webmasters that they are in violation of the ToS or asking that they change their links accordingly.
    >>>>>

SI notifies all webmasters of minor terms violations, HTML errors or other mistakes. SI does not notify individuals who attempt to deliberately defraud our company. There is a huge difference....

We currently have a collection of over 50 programs that are specifically authored to "cheat" our programs. Some of these programs are up to version 4 and above. None of them work.

When we detect an account deliberately attempting to defraud us we simply flag their account internally and allow them to go about wasting their time until they realize a check is not forthcoming. Keep in mind that they are NOT sending traffic. They are generating false clicks/searches/impressions. What generally then occurs is that they get very angry and then usually stay away from attempting to steal from us n the future.

If we were to simply cancel their account and send them a polite note they would simply "go back to the drawing board" and try and figure out a new way to steal from us, confident in the fact that if their next scheme is detected they know they'll get a note in the mail and can try again.

Legitimate webmasters can send as much traffic as you like without worry. We have 15,000 posts on our web forum. Feel free to drop by and ask them any qauestions you like.

To recap:
    Mistakes, errors, bad html, incorrect links = Notification
    Fraud, zero frames, hitbots, etc, = No notification

>>>>>>
    As such, I was wondering whether SI would be willing to review their affiliate links on a webmaster's site on request, and certify that they are not in violation of the terms of service prior to that version of the site going live
    >>>>>>

We do hundreds of "site checks" a day. Send an email to me or to admin@searchtraffic.com or whatever program you are participating in. We'll be happy to check it out for you.

>>>>
    "You may not open the Allclicks.com URL in a new browser window, unless your site is built with frames. If that's the case you must open Allclicks.com in a new fullsized window. Also, you may not open our links inside of frames, ever."
    >>>>

I'm not sure of your question here. You may not autorefresh or open an AllClicks link upon exit. We have an exit program paying 2.5 cents per transfer but that is closed to new applicants right now.

>>>>>>
    Also, the ToS states that 3rd party banner exchanges cannot be used to open the AllClicks link. However, I plan to use a banner exchange at the bottom of my site and some of my visitors will come through the exchange. If this happpens, and then one of those visitors leaves my site and an AllClicks exit window loads, am I in violation of the ToS?
    >>>>>>>

Absolutely not. Your welcome to use any method you like to generate traffic (except any form of spam, of course), we just don't want our links placed in banner exchage programs since we can't verify the sites that would be displaying our links.

Any other questions feel free to post or drop by our forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't cheat = get paid $$$

It's a pretty simple formula.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your crazy Lenny, SI has a great reputation, drop by their discussion fourm if you have doubts. I use them and am very happy. Timely payment and friendly service make SI the best affiliate company on the net. If you hear people *****ing about not getting paid, its because they cheated. Period.
    Paul Banker
    Webmaster/Reporter
    AIM: PWR Banker
    http://www.purewwfrage.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Paul.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering the excellent communication and references that SI provides, I think that an affiliation with them would be beneficial, pending a link review to ensure compliance with the ToS. The SI boards (which I still cannot register for, by the way--it displays a blank page after registration info is submitted and never sends me the password) mention that the AllClicks exit page program is not accepting new members. Is this true? Will the program be opened up to new users in the near future?

I also have a question about AllClicks and frames that was not answered from my previous post. Is it against the ToS to link to CHTF within a frame and load the page in place of the framset (using target=_top or target=_parent) instead of opening the page in a new browser window? The ToS seems to suggest that breaking out of the frameset is not sufficient and that the page must load in a new browser window.

Thanks for your assistance and I look forward to working with you in the future,
    Lenny

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lenny, after the trouble we had with the board last week, we moved it to a new domain/server and appearently, all glitches (signup process) are not out of it yet. It will be addressed monday. As far as breaking out of the frame but remaining in the same window goes, that is our prefered method of linking to us when in frames. Many new members couldn't figure that out so we allowed the new window with frames.

The allclicks exit program opens and closes periodically because members are accepted by hand only. In general, we like to see a track record with allclicks and our other programs so we are sure new members to the exit program are on the up and up.
    I'm sure you could email robert about all of these questions and more if I haven't quite satisfied you.
    Thanks, Ron
    http://www.standardinternet.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think that the SI accusations are totally absurd. I use several of SI's programs and do not have a single negative thing to say about them.

Standard Internet has always provided excellent customer service, I have gotten my checks on time, and I have no gripes at all.

If Standard Internet were my company, the only thing differently I would do would be to consolidate all payments into one check - that way you get your popuptraffic, allclicks, searchtraffic, etc. payments all in one check. For those of you that aren't familiar with them, right now you get seperate checks.

Patrick
    http://www.MissAlba.com
    (and other sites too)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick,

We know our affiliates would like it and I'm sure we'll offer it eventually.

We have so many cool new programs coming out that we're really devoting all our resources into development of them rather than refining exisiting programs.