SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice developing new site.

Hi all - I'm a total newcomer so go easy. I've just registered the domain name "debt.ie" here in Ireland and want to develop it into a portal (if that's the right term) for people seeking cheap loans, re-mortgages, loans for adverse credit history etc.

Has anyone got any advice as to how I could go about making some sort of income from this, (eg charging for referrals) and any tips for site design, construction etc?

Many thanks.

mabglyndwr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest setting it up for free to begin with and then once you have lots of visitors start creating some premium articles, perhaps. Or you could try selling ads although you probably won't get much money via that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Moved to a more appropriate forum. You should receive better answers here .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply David. Once I've managed to build up a bit up a bit of traffic, would companies normally be prepared to agree some sort of click-through deal?

Regards,

mabglyndwr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always go to their web site and see if they have some kind of affiliate program set up. That would mean everyone you send to them, that purchases something, you would get like 2-5% of the profit. Thats mostly how I think portals make their money. If you have a very high amount of traffic, you can earn some good money off ads alone.

One thing you'll want to make sure you do is set yourself apart, why would the user want to look through your site rather than just searching on google. If it be your quality articles, or your very active, and helpful forum, then that will work, But make sure you just don't decide to make a plain page with links to other sites won't do well.

good luck
    • Follow the dancing banana

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your very helpful input DaStuff. As far as I'm aware, many blue-chip companies don't appear to have affiliate programmes in place. Would it normally be ok just to email them and ask to set up some sort of click-thru deal?

mabglyndwr