SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are YOU looking for??

I currently run a webmaster based site. I of course am looking to attract interested webmasters to post projects on my site, so my exising programmers have a reason to stick around and continue doing business through me.
    What I would like to do is include more content on my site to attract the webmasters, and hopfully get them interested in my sites main offerings.
    So as a webmaster, what resources do you most commonly look for when you are looking to improve your existing site (the idea being I can give them idea's and helpful hints so they can use my site to find the programming help).
    Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, scripts that I could implement on my site, tutorials, articles and latest information and news.

Maybe a section on how to get ads on your site and start making money and a forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As DG P@CkMaN said, scripts that can be downloaded for free as well as some detailed articles into web development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think that articles that are well-written, and extremely well-researched, that show that you know exactly waht you're talking about are good. Aswell as a forum, which you should probbably impliment later on, and the latest news.

Also, you should update the news atleast daily, and add shoot for a goal of adding an article a day.

And if you have mucho traffic, then you should also have a chat-room. Make it easy to navigate, and have lots of nice content.

Ensure you finish what you sta bronze trophy John Colby's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A vertical market.

Geberal webmastering is very well dealt with on sites such as sitepoint, but if you introduce some sort of specificity then you have more chance, instead of being just a "me too" site.

And of course I have no suggestions about subject.
    John
    No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission
    or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and
    some may have enjoyed the experience.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with John on this ... as I have done with my own web business, you must be original.

In a field of a billion webmasters, what makes you different? You must seek and discover for yourself "What is it about you that makes you stand out from the crowd?"

Myself I do graphic design work with a cartoonish flair. My specialty is illustrating images using the Pen Tool in ways that are totally unique. My motto is "be original." Used to be on my first website I had a saying, "The Home of Happy Graphics."

You must find what it is about you and your abilities that make you unique, or, as John said, you'll just be another vanity site catering to the same thing a billion other sites like yours do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldScripts
    so my exising programmers have a reason to stick around and continue doing business through me.
    Well I usually don't know what I'm looking for until I find it , so I'm no help there. But what I do know is that when I go on the hunt for a program (or programmer that can understand my ramblings) the first thing I do is look at credentials, examples (if any) available of previous projects or programs that certain programmers have done. So you might think about having a featured programmer spot somewhere that makes it easier for me, Joe Webdude, to see who is active on your site and who possibly might bid on a project if I posted one.

That (featured spot(s)) will dangle the magic carrot in front of the programmers to try and get their name(s) in the featured spot, and will make it easier for me, Joe Webdude, to find those star credentials.

Oh yeah, free stuff works too. I like free stuff, everyone likes free stuff. You might even ask participating programmers to contribute a free sample code snippet or something.
    Boredom is illegal, enjoy life while you can, Laugh a little
    |Jokes|e-creations®|
    clixGalore made me sad, see why.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O.k., well thanks for all the great feedback - here are a few idea's I've decided based on it..
    I'm going to start up a GPL download database, with nothing but free scripts, descriptions, etc. So you can search through for nothing but free scripts and use them as you like.
    I am working on an article section where I can post my knowledge on web development in general.
    I am working on a free template section where you can download templates to use for your page.
    Also - I'm working on the layout so the navigation is a bit easier (I plan on using some new drop down menu's to control it all).
    Now, if anyone has any resources that could help me that would be great, such as..
    Any directories that exist for GPL scripts so I can look through and find quality content.
    Any directories that contain templates that I can download, modify, and redistribute as my own content.
    Thanks in advance!!