SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to know what you all think about the power of music. Not necessarily for websites, but also for multimedia presentations and the like!
    <Edited by Nicky on 12-05-2000 at 10:33 AM>

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Music is my life. I'd go insane if I couldn't ever listen to music again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I am trying to do is compile a list of different types of music and how they make you feel. For example, if you wanted people to buy books off your website (pretend you are Amazon), then what type of music would you play your visitors?
    <Edited by Nicky on 12-05-2000 at 11:11 AM>

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For example, if you wanted people to buy books off your website (pretend you are Amazon), then what type of music would you play your visitors?
    Definitely classical music. For any type of shopping site I'd probably use either classical music or jazz.

For web design company sites that use Flash, I really like Moby type music; or trance. That's what a lot use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m a huge fan of music, many genres but mainly electronica. My problem with sites that play music are, in general you get MIDI. Midi, unless you have something like the Yamaha softsynth or a full studio of gear hooked up to your computer always sounds bad.

Anything better, mp3 for example and you hit the bandwidth problem.

Theres more to it though I think. Most of the time Im listening to my mp3 collection while I surf. If a site suddenly starts playing music its going to sound awful. There is yet no way to know if someone is listening to music, you can tell what resolution people are surfing at and what browser there using but is winamp on? lol

You also have the problem of what to play, but I think the site content should really help define the music genre. If you start the site off with a flash movie then people know there about to hear music. Give someone a yahoo type page and music, for me at least, would be inappropriate in that case.

Garry
    "Eat like a bird, poop like an elephant"
    www.FantasticArts.com

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm..I wouldn't play music on ANY site

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, but this is for a lecture I am giving to multimedia students, so music can be applied to any multimedia genre, not necessarily a website!

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you have to do is use short 8-10 second WAV file music loops. MIDI files aren't even music in my mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Music is a very big impact more because I always listen to it when working cause it just makes it better .
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think music is a powerful and necassary facet to any multimedia presentation wether it's delivered over the Web or through any other medium.

The main problem still persisting with the Web is bandwith. It's not always practicle to deliver a high-end presentation through the Web. And I definitly agree that having background music on a site is annoying. I am thinking more in terms of Flash or Powerpoint types of presentations.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work at a grocery store and we have two types of music playing. When you first walk in, you go to the produce area. The music playing there has an upbeat tempo to get people into a good mood. Once you get out of produce you hear fluff(hit songs that everyone knows).

They spent money to find out what types of music to play in which areas. Based on how much money this store does, I'd say it works very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Music can be very subjective though, don't you think. I personally avoid it on website design, but I can see the need for something extra when it comes to multimedia.

Most people like ambient tracks that aren't too busy and in you face.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about music, web sites are made to be seen not heard. It drives me nuts when I come up on a site and it starts to talk to you or sing to you. If I can't hit the stop button and get it to stop I go to another site.

Another question how much TV do you see in Web Design? Now days you could be watching TV and you see something (or atleast I DO) that you could see fitting on a nice page. Like some flash like animation. Which medium is leading the design envolope ? Do you see it first on TV or on THe web ?