SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting together a book list (split from Useful resources and books for anyone who wants to learn PH

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Web development and PHP on a whole. Where PHP is concerned I am a beginner in the true sense of the word but I recently installed a PHP forums on my website and I even installed PHP and MySQL on my own. I really dig PHP and think it is something I am ready to dive into head first. Since I don't shop online with credit cards yet, I have put together a book list to send with someone who is going to the United States to buy for me.

Can someone review my list and tell me if I am missing something.

Here is my list:

1.PHP and MySql Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson (published by Sams):
    2. MySQL by Paul DuBois (published by New Riders)
    3. Don't Make Me Think! by Steve Krug (published by New Riders) I am getting this one because someone gave it a good review and seemed like something I could benefit from.
    4. Build Your own Database Driven Website with PHP & MySQL by Kevin Yank (published by SitePoint)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.PHP and MySql Web Development by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson (published by Sams):
    2. Build Your own Database Driven Website with PHP & MySQL by Kevin Yank (published by SitePoint

I'm pondering whether to get the first or second book above. I know html and I'm a beginner/intermediate java programmer who has learned some mysql (like simple querying and stuff, but i've never applied it to web applications). I have no idea how to use php yet, but am very interested. With that said, which book is best for me?

It seems like the second book by Yank is the better choice because most people here on this forum has it... but i'm not so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get the first one, PHP and MySQL Web Development. It's what I have, and (although I haven't gotten very far into it) and it's taught me a lot. It also teaches you how to make common-day PHP/MySQL applications, including CMS's, Forums and mailing list managers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might consider just getting corephp by Leon Atkinson and Zeev Suraski. It takes php 5 into consideration which might prove to be a reference that will have a bit more longevity for you.
    I am cranking through it right now and it is straight-forward stuff.
    Troy