SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi gang,

What's new, what's new... I was recommended by a friend who was recently over to defrag my hard drive - since it apparently hadn't been in over a year. I ran ScanDisk first to check for errors and didn't get any to my knowledge. If there were some, it should of automatically fixed them. I ran both standard and thorough scans. When I ran the defragger, it started, and at about 3%, it said drive C errors needed to be fixed first. Help?

Also, I just received my Norton System Works 2001 in the mail today I ordered for Christmas. Does any one have any experience with it? Does it include Ghost in it? I was hoping so. Thanks!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if it includes Ghost.. But if your smart you will use Disk Doctor instead of ScanDisk from now one and Norton's defragger instead of the Windows Default.

P.S. both programs that come with Windows are scaled down versions of Norton's products.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be sure to do that. I just got 128 MB of RAM added onto my original 64 and haven't experienced the drastic improvement I expected. I have plenty of hard drive space left - will defragging and running a lot of those Norton sysyem clean up softwares help?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably won't notice a huge difference in defragging unless you have a huge number of apps/files.

You tripled your RAM and you can't see the improvement?!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not sure what you categorize "a huge number of programs", but I have a lot. I'm just going to use Norton Disk Doctor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of warning on Norton System Works. I ran the system doctor (or a similar componet) and opted to let it 'fix' system problems automatically. It deleted several DLL files registry entries. I ended using the system restore that came with my computer.

However, I do high praises for Internet Security 2001 and Clean Sweep 2001 by Norton.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, great, now I'm afraid to install it! Thanks for the notice. Maybe I should get Ghost first so I can have backup incase it does mess up my system?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to worry, you're given a choice at several points, but I was so digusted with the overall performance of my computer that I just clicking yes. I had planned on reformatting at some point, so my heart wasn't broken.

Don't get me wrong, though, backing up with Ghost is a good idea and it's been a life saver to me.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thanks.