SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow JAWS® for Windows for FREE? Lets give a try!

    Web Designers Alternative for JAWS®

    Not every freelancer designer, developer, can afford buying JAWS, to test the web sites they build.

    Therefore, see how this problem may be solved!

    More info here:

    http://www.dreamlettes.net/petition/

    Thanks for your your time and help!

  2. #2
    Rabble Rouser bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I signed a while ago, but now I'm having second thoughts. If JAWS is too expensive for developers what about the people who really need it? I don't see any reason why we're special while the visually impaired still have to pay full price - sounds like discrimination to me.

    Better idea - someone start a petition to bring the price of JAWS down to affordable levels for everyone.

  3. #3
    gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Salford / Manchester / UK
    Posts
    4,838
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or release an SDK or detailed documentation of its behaviour and capabilities...
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

  4. #4
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C
    I signed a while ago, but now I'm having second thoughts. If JAWS is too expensive for developers what about the people who really need it? I don't see any reason why we're special while the visually impaired still have to pay full price - sounds like discrimination to me.

    Better idea - someone start a petition to bring the price of JAWS down to affordable levels for everyone.
    But it would solve a lot of problems for blind people who have JAWS! Or not?

  5. #5
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redux
    or release an SDK or detailed documentation of its behaviour and capabilities...
    Redux, if I got you right, do you mean something like this?
    http://wats.ca/resources/jawskeystrokes/9

  6. #6
    Rabble Rouser bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webnauts
    But it would solve a lot of problems for blind people who have JAWS! Or not?
    Is there some reason reducing the price for everyone (not just developers) wouldn't help solve the same problems?

  7. #7
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C
    Is there some reason reducing the price for everyone (not just developers) wouldn't help solve the same problems?
    Then there will be much more problems solved! And that for everyone!

  8. #8
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,236
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C
    Better idea - someone start a petition to bring the price of JAWS down to affordable levels for everyone.
    I just woke up, but this is probably the best idea I'll hear all day

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C
    Is there some reason reducing the price for everyone (not just developers) wouldn't help solve the same problems?
    Sure -- if Freedom Scientific couldn't afford to do this, and then go out of business or have to drop the product.

    There's an assumption here that Freedom Scientific doesn't know how to price their software product. That may be true, but the decision shouldn't be based on "people would like it for less money" by itself.

    The danger with demanding a lower price is the possibility that the screen reader will no longer make a profit -- and therefore, the people creating it will stop doing so. This would be an overall loss to the disability community.

    --Kynn

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, please see:

    A Web Designer's Guide to JAWS

    --Kynn

  11. #11
    Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,491
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome on board Kynn! Nice to have you here!

    And by the way, I must agree with your point of view above.

  12. #12
    Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    A Maze of Twisty Little Passages
    Posts
    6,316
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had come to a similar conclusion about Mark Pilgrim referencing a WCAG Working Draft like it was a Technical Recommendation; what nonsense it's like referencing XHTML 2.0 and talking about it as if it had been fully finalised. The rest of what he said was more or less reasonable.

    In general I'll skirt around this petition because it's highly unlikely it will be successful due to various flaws.

    In either case many web designers seem to have forgotten that JAWS is an assistive technology rather than a specific program for people whom have visual impairment.

    Thus it is likely than a wider range of people whom may have various disability types - like myself - would use the program.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •