SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is setting font size by css a good thing for the end user?

I am debating whether or not to use css to specify font size so my precious design does not go astray by how the user sets his/her browser (i.e. text size, font)

But, I am wondering if this would necessarily be a good thing, because some people who are hard of sight may want to see bigger fonts, while people with smaller monitors may want to view the text smaller.

Does anyone have an opinion on this subject?

I feel it is of utmost importance to satisfy the end user's experience.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi sadhu,

in my experience, I had always used CSS to set all of my fonts (9pt Verdana, Arial,Helvetuca, sans-serif). But then I realise that the font did turn out ugly on some systems.. especially on Netscape on Linux systems at my uni (impossible to read, too small).

Nowadays I don't use CSS as much to set the text size, i use normal <font size="2" HTML tag to size my fonts.

But I'd say that there are areas you must have CSS, for example in tight table layouts (where if you changed the size of the font it would totally degrade the design of the page)

I'd also say that it would be better to use normal HTML tags to size paragraph text, because this is what you want your users came for, (and if it is hard to read they wont come back!!).

Hope that helps out ,
    Ardi
    http://www.myringtones.net (down again) - Free Ringtones for your Nokia and Ericsson GSM phone : brought to you by The Ringtone Factory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well..Here's what I intend to do with my website..

I'm using CSS entirely..but I also know about this user experience..hence..you oculd try this:

create your style sheet for the design..with your required fonts..then create another with a larger overall font size...

then..let your user choose which ....they prefer..of cause you should specify a 'recommended' setting..which should be the right font size..not too big or small..

then save the user settings say...via a cookie or something.. ( be sure to add to your privacy policy if you use cookies..lol )

hope it helps you..
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just use proportional font sizing...

I.E.
    font-size:small;
    font-size=.7em;

Or something similar?

Then you can set your font size and the majority of users will see it as you intended it. Also if someone comes to your site and the font is difficult to read they can resize it so they can read it.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, your better off using CSS for various reasons including site maintenance and compliance with newer standards (HTML 5 / XHTML is getting away from using HTML tags to define style).

Browsers will override HTML settings if the user specifies a font. With IE, VIEW | TEXT SIZE. I'm not sure Netscape.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sadhu...I would definately recommend using stylesheets for font sizing. Just remember to us the correct unit such as Point size (pt) or em. that way if your user wants to resize the fonts of the page, they can.

The main problem arises when a designer uses absolutes sizes (such as pixels 'px'). When pixels are used, the fonts on the page cannot be resized, which means if your user has trouble reading the text, they are stuck.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes