SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

selfpromotion/linking policies ?

Referring to http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...hreadid=125656

Also, a good point would be to check .... [Advisor Edit: Link Removed. Please Review our selfpromotion/linking policies]
    Where can I find these guidelines ?

To the Advisor: I didn't think I was self promoting, I really think the link would be helpful for the problem in the situation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Indian!
    But what I couldn't find was which guideline or cardinal rule I broke
    (Or do I need a new pair of glasses ?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?

Keep advertising where it is allowed. Do not heedlessly place your advertisements through the Discussion Forums. This will be considered SPAM and could result in the loss of your SitePoint Community Membership.
    Death --the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.

TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Amit, to be clear we don't allow anyone to post links to their own sites within threads.

Other people can link to your site, and you can have a link in your sig BUT you cannot have a link to your site within a thread.

We like to keep the threads in SPF as complete as possible and encourage users with the answers to post them rather than just including links to various other sites. This also helps others when searching a similar topic.

I think the only situation where this IS allowed is when you are asking for a review on your site or a site element - where you have to include your site link

I hope that this makes it clearer for you.

As always let me know if this isn't clear

Thanks
    Sarah
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Indian ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah
    Hi Amit, to be clear we don't allow anyone to post links to their own sites within threads.

Other people can link to your site, and you can have a link in your sig BUT you cannot have a link to your site within a thread.

We like to keep the threads in SPF as complete as possible and encourage users with the answers to post them rather than just including links to various other sites. This also helps others when searching a similar topic.
    Sarah, I understand completely what you are saying, but in this situation, the link was not intented to be a promotion, but an actually listing the solution that the user and myswl have faced in the PHP.

I had given a simple solution to the problem in the post, but for someone looking for more details then, I referred to the link, so that I don't have to post the whole thing here in the forum.

Or would you like me to post the whole article here... (which BTW is not allowed as per the guidelines, I read them now )

So, which one should I do, you tell me .... or whats the solution ...

I actually belive that the link should be taken in the merit that whether it would help the users or not ...

Taking an example ... in the post .... http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...hreadid=124480

I did post a link to my site, which the user found very useful.

A similar situation is here in this post too!

Oh, and BTW its not like I am posting like to my site in each and every post I make ...