SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been allocated the task of "judging" various webmaster resources for their value. SitePoint is one of the sites we are focusing on.

The data i collect over the next week or so, which i will spend surfing various forums - a cool job, will be used to form the basis of a feature article in the manazine on coming months.

I would like some comments - honest ones - on what you think of SitePoint and the people who use it.

Thanks
    I am here to review the forums and report back to my superiors, a mission some might say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all you could post an email where we could send teh comments to, because I can imagine somebody who wants to say negative points doesn't dare to post it in public.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that SitePoint is a nice place: lots of nice people and always somebody who wants to help you with a problem. Less nice things occur of course, but they're rare.

Two 'negative' things:

-While updating the Bulletin Board, the board is messed up sometimes and we experience weird effects

-The moderators at this forum are sometimes a bit too strict.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think SitePoint is a great place to hang out , here are some of the best points:
    • [li]The community sense is great - everyone will help you out in any way they can
      [li]The "Big People" get involved - the SP owners and Admins are active here at the forums
    • If we suggest something, chances are it will happen soon. It's nice to feel "listened to"

Hope that gives you a good impression of how we feel about SP

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by CJ
    First of all you could post an email where we could send teh comments to, because I can imagine somebody who wants to say negative points doesn't dare to post it in public.
    As one of the most active administrators here in the community, I would prefer to hear the negative as well as the positive.

I try to work with everyone to better the services offered and work with each individual member.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

exit();
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, SitePoint could have a bit more useful articles..they're good but you can and probably have already read about the same topic somewhere else. They also just need a greater amount of articles.

The design is a bit slow to load and is messed up in some browsers, so I would probably make a couple changes to that.

I would also put the banner somewhere else in the forums...and put the navigation buttons in a different place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    I try to work with everyone to better the services offered and work with each individual member.
    Yeah, but still... Anyway I think you know the bad points. I hope I made them clear already I COULD say them all again, but I don't think some Site Reviewer has buseness with that. He just has to take care he has a forum and needs to check that it is conform with the Policy of the magazine. Anyway if he really wants to test he should get member and go 'undercover' because in one day you cannot see all the good points, but even less the bad points. Just like you can't see most bad points if you go to a city where everything seems 'cool' while there are actually tensions.

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CJ > Don't start exaggerating now

SP isn't a criminal organization... well... at least I think they're not...
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan

Who knows the guys/girls behind the screen/keyboard?
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by 123finder.com
    Originally posted by Elledan

Who knows the guys/girls behind the screen/keyboard?
    lol

I can't really remember why I started visiting sitepoint. I dont really know why I continue to visit, but I do, so there must be something good about it
    I would like to see a directory of member sites, or a system like coolhomepages.com for business models or just cool sites/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well I started coming to SitePoint when it was still called Webmaster Resources becasue I found it great for some assignments I was doing, but silly me lost the URL and it took me a while to find it again, by this time they where called SitePoint and I started participating in the Forum, now I am a Advisor for the Trading Post.

I'm probably one of the youngest advisor (if not the youngest).....19!!! and am and Aussie myself

I personnaly visit SP atleast 2 or 3 times a day and probably make use of as much of the site as possible, I find it a great place to find information with some GREAT people running it, not to mention knowledgeable.
    .NET Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey big_al, so we're the same age, only different positions: one is community advisor and one is powerless member
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey big_al, so we're the same age, only different positions: one is community advisor and one is powerless member
    Members aren't powerless. You can speak directly to me on the various channels listed in my profile. You can also contact any of the advisors with any ideas or issues you may have. We build SitePoint around the members, not the other way around.

Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Cool, I started thinking I was the "youngen" out of the advisors and the forums but am now finding more and more people that are only fairly young. By the way we have another advisor our age, Karl

Wayne is right and by your post count it looks like you have been with SP for quite some time, so you would know alot about how these forums work and what can make them better, so any suggestions can go to any of the advisors.

<Edited by big_al on 12-04-2000 at 10:45 PM>
    .NET Code Monkey