SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a good way to decrease load time and advertising clutter throughout the network. The main page is down to 5 ads in total.

Good work.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, although I am suspicious....I think they copied Spotster.net (oh what a good site!)

The main page is still 60KB of HTML though, which makes for a horribly long load time for us on slow connections. I've complained about this since the beginning of SitePoint, and nothing has been done (except going from 40kb to 60kb). Oh well...at least I'll have cable in 2 days. (Still doesn't make it right)

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As explained by Alex, one of our web developes in an earlier post, the frontpage of SitePoint consists of several seperate tables which will appear one after another as the page loads.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    Looks good, although I am suspicious....I think they copied Spotster.net (oh what a good site!)

The main page is still 60KB of HTML though, which makes for a horribly long load time for us on slow connections. I've complained about this since the beginning of SitePoint, and nothing has been done (except going from 40kb to 60kb). Oh well...at least I'll have cable in 2 days. (Still doesn't make it right)
    The only reference I could find for vertical ads is on your Advertising Page. I didn't see any in use though. Now you have an example so you can pull in a higher CPM on your site.

I regularly load the frontpage using a 28,800 dialup line and it loads fast even for its size. The great thing about it is you don't have to let it finish loading before you can see the new content and be off on your merry way.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have vertical ads on all content pages, but not category pages. For example, http://www.spotster.net/tutorials/tutorial.php3?id=15 is an example of a page with a "tower ad". (We've been using tower ads since the launch a few months ago).

Anyway, I'm glad that SitePoint split the design into several tables. It makes loading pages a lot quicker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    We have vertical ads on all content pages, but not category pages. For example, http://www.spotster.net/tutorials/tutorial.php3?id=15 is an example of a page with a "tower ad". (We've been using tower ads since the launch a few months ago).
    These ads are a new trend on the Internet. If Advertisers realized that traditional advertising could work on the 'Net and stop fretting about click-through rates, people wouldn't have to keep coming up with new ad configurations.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------