SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Jenny McDermott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

skip navigation links [split thread]

I put this in the wrong thread at first. I've got a site that I'm going to gradually convert to Section 508 compatibility, but the "Skip Navigation" feature has me a little confused. I think it might be best to leave that off the home page as people might want to be aware of the navigation structure at first; they can skip in subsequent pages.

Someone on the other thread said I should put the "Skip Navigation" on the home page as well since people returning for a second or third visit may not need to "see" it. So I guess my question is do talking browsers automatically skip navbars whenever they see that link or do they simply prompt the user and let him/her choose whether or not to skip it?
    "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating
    the taste of the American public." -- H.L. Mencken

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny McDermott
    I put this in the wrong thread at first. I've got a site that I'm going to gradually convert to Section 508 compatibility, but the "Skip Navigation" feature has me a little confused. I think it might be best to leave that off the home page as people might want to be aware of the navigation structure at first; they can skip in subsequent pages.

Someone on the other thread said I should put the "Skip Navigation" on the home page as well since people returning for a second or third visit may not need to "see" it. So I guess my question is do talking browsers automatically skip navbars whenever they see that link or do they simply prompt the user and let him/her choose whether or not to skip it?
    First welcome in my thread! I think I have answered your question elsewhere within SitePoint?
    Well once again. You should use the "Skip Navigation" link also on your homepage, while what is when the visitor visits your homepage again? Should he/she go again for another time over the navigation to reach the content?

And by the way, the user(s) can decide anyway if he/she want's to click on the link or not.

If you do not want to have a visible link, an invisible will do too.

But... read more here:

Providing 'Skip Links': http://infocentre.frontend.com/servlet/Infocentre/Infocentre?page=article&id=150

SitePoint Enthusiast Jenny McDermott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Skip navigation feature

Thank you for the advice and the useful article, Webnauts. I always find some new and useful Web site or three when I visit this forum. I mailed the article to myself at work.
    "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating
    the taste of the American public." -- H.L. Mencken

Forensic SEO Consultant Webnauts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny McDermott
    Thank you for the advice and the useful article, Webnauts. I always find some new and useful Web site or three when I visit this forum. I mailed the article to myself at work.
    I thought you migh are interested reading further here: http://www.washington.edu/accessit/AU/tutorial/ins.html

When you are reading this link, please go on reading the next page...