User Tag List

Thread: Images ??

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Images ??

1st time in this forum… this looks like a great site! I sure hope you all can help with my question. What is the best way to take pictures of products for a web site? I am using a Nikon 5700 digital camera and editing with Adobe PS. If I did this correctly I have attached a sample of the product photo that I will be using. I know nothing about web site development. So much to learn so little grey matter to work with!!
    Thanks... Aud
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice shirt

I'm not into photography, but I see it as just keep your images to a low filesize, and keep them relative to webstandard formats. Like, pictures with low colors use GIF, and those with high (like photos), use JPG. And sometimes I see people use TIFF, which.. even though is not a convienant format to download, it preserves photos very well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Solace D, My concern about resizing is losing definition in the pockets (pilot uniform shirts), I need to resize each picture to 425 x 298 or so.
    Aud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi aud

i just had a play with your image using adobe elements 2.0 and after resizing it to the specs you mentioned, the quality didnt deteriorate too much and the resulting file size was only 12.4kb - less than a tenth of the original. anyway, sorry about that - i was curious.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose you can just take them (nicely - in an aesthetic sense that depends probably on your photographic skills ), and then rely on a graphics manipulation program for the resizing.

It often doesn't hurt to take at the best resolution and quality possible, and resize and lose definition as required to keep the filesize down, until the quality is still bearable.

Competent graphics manipulation programs would be able to do resizing w/o losing definition (I use Photoshop).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sacher, No problem… being curious is a good thing!! Redemption, that is my plan… to shoot as a TIFF, edit and resize as a JPEG to the size I need. I was losing quality because I was editing/saving while the image was in a JPEG format. Thanks for all your help!!
    Aud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also have a "large version" avaialble and then just use a thumbnail on the website, and link to the larger view.
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info; I have to stay within the template image sizing guidelines 60 x 60 for thumb nail in the store directory & 298 x 400 for the product page. From what I understand (which isn't much at this point) I only have room for 1 image in each place. Aud

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    white backgrounds and studio shots work best.

I highly recomend thumbnails and low filesizes.

Very cool shirt btw
    `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·FLAMING`·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.·
    -==׺°”˜`”°º×MONARCH׺°”˜`”°º×==-