SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 4 weeks I've managed to be listed by the Open Directory Project, Lycos and FAST Search. hooray! Still no luck with Yahoo though

My question is do I ever need to resubmit to these sites or will they just keep me listed as long as I exist.

Also, I showed up in the Google searches for a about 2 weeks and now my listing seems to have disapeared. Is this normal? Should I resubmit?

regards
    http://britishexpats.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO for a general search engine like Excite or AltaVista after 4-6 weeks if you aren't listed try again.

Yahoo is a special case. They're very finiky. I've been told now they no longer accept free submissions for commercial sites. All commercial sites must pay the review fee (and still no guarantees!). Haven't verified this myself yet however.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jaiem
    Yahoo is a special case. They're very finiky. I've been told now they no longer accept free submissions for commercial sites. All commercial sites must pay the review fee (and still no guarantees!). Haven't verified this myself yet however.
    What??? If it's true then Yahoo is really annoying (for webmasters) since I still use it as my main SE when surfing
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never resubmit to the ODP after you're listed, as editors we hate that.

Your listing will not change unless you send in a change request form.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply aspen. And I'd like to take the opportunity to say thanks for all the selfless work you and all the editors do on the ODP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    Never resubmit to the ODP after you're listed, as editors we hate that.

Your listing will not change unless you send in a change request form.

Chris
    And I second that last about thanking the editors for there time.

Maybe you could advise what is the best way to attempt to get directories changed that use the DMOZ master. I have come accross quite a few that still incorrectly list my wifes site with its old url while DMOZ changed it many months ago. When you click on the add url it takes you to dmoz and there no point leaving messages to the editors there as it isn't there problem to fix.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could advise what is the best way to attempt to get directories changed that use the DMOZ master. I have come accross quite a few that still incorrectly list my wifes site with its old url while DMOZ changed it many months ago. When you click on the add url it takes you to dmoz and there no point leaving messages to the editors there as it isn't there problem to fix.
    DMOZ.org doesn't control how sites that download the raw data use that data. Some sites will update off a DMOZ dump every 2 weeks, others god knows how long. All you can do is just make sure your DMOZ listing is correct as far as the URL goes and wait.

You should also know that sites that use DMOZ data do not necessarily use the descriptions for sites, many, including aol, just use it mainly for website addresses and then they spider and rank the sites accordingly by common search ranking methods (meta tags and the like)

Chris