SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm on the PHP learning trail and trying to modify a basic script to perform a few more functions (Thanks for your help on resources - up v.late last night!).

Can anyone give me some help with the following (sorry its long - just hoped to explain it clearly):

I'm trying to modify a remote grabber script to fetch some headlines link.

- This is an example source of what I want to fetch:

<!--This is where I want the grab to start -->
    <p><a href="/article1.html"><font size="2">This is the link to article 1</font></a><br>
    <font color="#FFCC66">This is the intro text to article 1</font></p>
    <p><a href="/article2.html"><font size="2">This is the link to article 2</font></a><br>
    <font color="#FFCC66">This is the intro text to article 2</font></p>
    <p><a href="/article3.html"><font size="2">This is the link to article 3</font></a><br>
    <font color="#FFCC66">This is the intro text to article 3</font></p>
    <p><a href="/article4.html"><font size="2">This is the link to article 4</font></a><br>
    <font color="#FFCC66">This is the intro text to article 4</font></p>
    <!--This could be used as grab end -->

- OK: now if I use the following script I can get this basic information to start playing with:

<?

########################
    ## Mandatory Setting ##
    ########################

$GrabURL = "http://www.SomeSite.Com/index.html"; //- Complete URL of the page your grabbing from!
    $GrabStart = "<!--This is where I want the grab to start -->";
    $GrabEnd = "<!--This could be used as grab end -->";

########################################
    ## Edit str_replace if required below ##
    ########################################
    $file = fopen("$GrabURL", "r");
    $rf = fread($file, 20000);
    $grab = eregi("$GrabStart(.*)$GrabEnd", $rf, $printing);
    // $printing[1] = str_replace("", "", $printing[1]);
    fclose($file);
    echo $printing[1];
    echo "&nbsp;&nbsp;<font face=Verdana size=1>Script Provided By: <a href=\"http://www.4cm.com/\" target=\"_blank\">www.4cm.com</a></font>";
    ####################
    ## End of Script ##
    ####################
    ?>

- Now this is what I want my final output to look like:

<p><a href="/article1.html">This is the link to article 1</a><br>
    <a href="/article2.html">This is the link to article 2</a><br>
    <a href="/article3.html">This is the link to article 3</a></p>

Note: the above output does not contain the article 4 link, or any of the intro text of any article.

So replacing the font tags (with nothing) can be easily done by str_replace.

Qu1: However - how can I automatically remove the 'intro text to articles' given that the text is likely to be constantly changing?

Could you use the same 'everything between' (.*) function and the replace this with nothing? Here it would be 'replace everything between <font color="#FFCC66"> and </font> with nothing?

Qu2: As I dont want ANY font tags in my final output (I'll use CSS on the output) is there any way of removing All font tags in one operation rather than str_replace each one individually. I understand that if I'm along the right lines with Qu1, the answer to Qu2 would have to come as a subsequent str_replace function for the Qu1 replace to work!

Qu3: How can I limit the output of the number of links I want to any given number? The simple answer of course would be to have the end grab between just after the number of links I want (in the example between links 3 and 4). However there is no unique code (for grab end) between these two links (as the links will keep changing), so it can't be done like this. Also I couldn't use the replace function as all the links subsequent to link 3, could again be constantly changing.

I see the only possible solution as something to do with the print function - in that you could possibly set it to print only the first 3 links. However, as a complete (although willing)beginner I can't really get my head round on how to do this.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could show me an example of how best I could overcome these problems. As a beginner and still at 'learning by example stage' I would really appreciate it if someone could show me via a working example.

I know I'm asking a lot, but help with this would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    <Edited by ChilliBoy on 12-01-2000 at 07:14 AM>

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any help with any of this - Pleeeeease.

Or could at least someone atleast tell me if its feasable or not.

Help reaalllly appreciated!!!