SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question IFrame interaction

Not sure the best place to put this because I know the answer will not be pure client-side and I'll need to submit it into our asp-based webapp, but one step at a time.

Here's a breakdown of what I'm tasked to do....

We want to have an iframe that will be going out to an external site. The end result of the user interaction outside our site will be a crystal reports document that is opened within the browser. What my boss wants me to do is be able to click a button on our portion of the screen, take the document that was created within the context of the iframe, and add it to our document repository via our softscan/upload module.

Now my boss isn't sure whether that crystal report is created within the same window as the process or whether a new window is being created for that document. Hopefully it's the same window, otherwise I think I'm toast.

My question is: can you get the current URL/src for an iframe once it's been changed? That's the key right this second....
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMaxwell
    Hopefully it's the same window, otherwise I think I'm toast.

My question is: can you get the current URL/src for an iframe once it's been changed? That's the key right this second....
    Not entirely sure what you mean by a new window. Do you mean: Does the iFrame still have the same src?
    If that's the case, then I reckon you're in luck [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Try this

Seems to me that whatever you click on within the iFrame then the URL remains the same as that which is hard-coded within your HTML.

Hope it helps,

Andy
    From the English nation to a US location.

Just Blow It bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by awestmoreland
    Not entirely sure what you mean by a new window. Do you mean: Does the iFrame still have the same src?
    If that's the case, then I reckon you're in luck [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Try this

Seems to me that whatever you click on within the iFrame then the URL remains the same as that which is hard-coded within your HTML.

Hope it helps,

Andy
    Nope. What I need is if you would click on the Sitepoint logo and then clicked on the show URL button, it would show http://sitepoint.com and not the original URL
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style
    Learn how to be ready for The Forums' Move to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found reference to a contentDocument property which sounds perfect, but it doesn't seem to work for me in IE6+. Additionally, it's not mentioned at the W3C.

Andy
    From the English nation to a US location.