SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TopStyle Pro vs. Homesite 5

anyone use TopStyle Pro? how does it compare with HS 5? It seems to have become more than a CSS editor. i hadn't looked at it in a long time, been using TS Lite for quite a while since it comes with HS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I am wrong, it certainly seems that topstyle is still mainly a CSS editor with HTML capability. I would love to see it become a programmer's tool, supporting more languages for syntax highlighting (I really never used it too much, but it does have syntax highlighting right? lol)
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TopStyle is indeed still primarily a CSS editor. I made the mistake of buying it thinking it was somewhat of an improvement on the 'lite' version that came with Homesite. It's sitting on the shelf and I'm still using Homesite. Coincidentally - I accidentally came across the 5.2 upgrade for Homesite. It's a free download and corrects a LOT of issues and adds new features. Just a little FYI for people who didn't know it was there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bvarvel
    TopStyle is indeed still primarily a CSS editor.
    Depends on your viewpoint. TopStyle supports syntax highlighting for Javascript, VBScript, ASP, and PHP as well as HTML, XHTML, and CSS.

It offers some powerful CSS capabilities, but it has outgrown those by leaps and bounds. I don't really need all the HTML tools of Homesite anymore since table-less design is the goal of most of my projects, so a clean XHTML-focused editor is much appreciated. It still has "IntelliSense" for HTML as well as CSS.

It integrates HTML Tidy, which ensures that your HTML is XHTML-compatible. It offers direct links to the any of the verification sites to check your code. It's programming support is pretty much only in the form of syntax highlighting, but I find that it is more than enough, since most of my PHP files are all PHP, I end up using the heftier PHPEdit to deal with classes and the like.

I greatly prefer TopStyle Pro to Homesite for the reasons above and a few more that I will hold in reserver, lest I be labeled a "spammer."