SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process of designing a website and currently in the process of coding the section for generation 4+ browsers. My site is far from finished and all bar the first page is empty. Anyway...

The problem im having is that (could just be my browser) when previewing the site in NN 4.6, it doesnt want to show the bgcolor or adhere to the width attributes in the <table> tag! Which completly destroys my navigation bar

The site IMO looks great in IE4+ with no trouble, I hav'nt used any browser specific tags or to my knowledge incorrectly spelled tag or attribute names. So i dont know why NN is showing it as such.

Could some one please goto my site and have a look at the code. It may just need a fresh set of eyes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't get the page to come up in NS for some reson - it's having problems finding a js file (might be just me though). So, I downloaded it through IE and opened from my hard drive.

The table backgrounds seem to be working fine for me in NS 4.73 - it's the borders that aren't showing up. Is that what you meant or are we seeing something different here?

As far as I can tell you are using the table background colour to make the borders right? And you understand that netscape doesn't show borders when there is nothing in the cell. Well, it seems to work the same way with cellpadding and cellspacing - IE colours the entire table with the table bgcolour - including padding and spacing. NS sees padding and spacing as empty space - like a td with nothing in it, so it doesn't show a background. You'll have to find another way to make those borders if you want them to work in NS (probably a more complex table with cells for each border line, each with black background and spacer.gif's - might be easier to use images instead for some of them).

As for the table widths in NS, that's a mystery to me too. I usually end up using a mess of spacer gif's to get that to work right.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the .js file problem, I forgot to sort it out after I had found the problem on my local version of the site. It was the borders that I was having problems with; I was using the cellspacing and then using the table bgcolor to create a black line around the cells.

Thanx for the help! Just another 40 hours or so, sorting out the table now lol.