SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: @ College?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I feel a bit small and stupid hanging out here with all you big-time study folks around!

I'm doing a part-time one-day (every Friday) one year CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) course. After I complete that, and hopefully pass, I hope to break into the networking field.

I may move up the pyramid later, progressing to CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) then to CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert) certification.

At the start of next year I might start another IT-related course, but I'll have to wait and see how things are going, especially money - it ain't easy being a hard-up student - - anyone wanna sponsor me? Also, are there any networking companies reading SPF want to take on a bright, intelligent Scottish lad?

[Edited to move smilies so they make sense! ]

<Edited by Saltire on 12-08-2000 at 06:34 AM>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Saltire, no need to feel intimidated by all the full-timers. Cisco Certification is a BIG deal. My friend's husband has been working on his (I believe Professional level) for approx. 2 years and it is TOUGH! But it has paid off for him. Last I heard, he had not even passed the final eval (the one where you have to build a network and then they come in and break it and you have to fix it), and he has moved 3 times to better paying positions because of the training and passed up numerous other offers. We aren't talking minor pay raises here, we are talking pay raises in the tens of thousands each time! If that's the kind of thing you like to do, it is certainly something in demand and I wish you the best with it!

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You make me feel like a retard, i don't have any diploma except baccalauréat (french final diploma for senior high school).
    Went to univeristy and took lots of courses in a two years span: maths, informatics, chinese, economy, theater, cinema, english... but what i really leanrned there was japanese (on my own) and computing (always in the computer rooms with my T1 connection). I never worked enough for getting a diploma.
    Before i went to university i didn't really know what was the internet...

So, if i come with my computing and foreign languages skills i may have a chance to get a good job in US ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. There are plenty of high-paid computer programmers with no college degree. It just takes awhile longer to get there. What matters ultimately is your skill level and work ethic.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jamesglewisf
    Yes. There are plenty of high-paid computer programmers with no college degree. It just takes awhile longer to get there. What matters ultimately is your skill level and work ethic.
    A little question:

I spotted a job in the paper this week, in IT Support. I plan on calling the Recruitment Agency of the company tommorrow evening, to inquire further about it.

However, I have noticed that on other occassions when making a general enquiry about IT related jobs, most companies will ask "What experience do you have?" As I'm 17, and am not long out of school (although it feels a while!) I find it very hard to be able to answer this question satisfactorily.

When I call tommorrow, and they most definitely WILL ask that question, what sort of answer would be the best one to give them?

What do I think? -- If you don't already have the experience, how do you get it if nobody is willing to give you the chance to work for them in order to obtain it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned the Greek alphabet (still know it) and the Hebrew alphabet (I forgot the last few letters, I think)...I havn't had the time to really even half-learn a language, though.

I really don't know if I'll be going to college or not - it'll depend on what happens over the next year and a half. I'm building some important job skills, so we'll see what happens.

If I do go, Computer Science seems like the logical choice - although from what I hear, if I don't get into a college that specializes in such a thing, I'll end up learning some pretty useless stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I learned the Greek alphabet (still know it) and the Hebrew alphabet (I forgot the last few letters, I think)...I havn't had the time to really even half-learn a language, though.

I really don't know if I'll be going to college or not - it'll depend on what happens over the next year and a half. I'm building some important job skills, so we'll see what happens.

If I do go, Computer Science seems like the logical choice - although from what I hear, if I don't get into a college that specializes in such a thing, I'll end up learning some pretty useless stuff.
    I want to go to college only if I am accepted into MIT or CalTech. Possibly the UW.

Otherwise my hope is to go into web application development and develope a product such a vbulletin...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    College is highly overrated. The food's usually terrible, the rooms are too small, and the the majority of people on any given campus usually smell bad.

I'd spend the money on a good hotel instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smell bad?!? I resent that.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you as an employer and the owner of a company that college is valuable. If someone graduates from college it tells me things such as:
    • You are responsible enough to study without mom and dad looking over your shoulder.
    • You have the ability to juggle multiple responsibilities and tasks.
    • You are a finisher. You can finish a big task, especially one that takes multiple years.
    • If your parents paid for it and you still made good grades, you understand responsibility and are not totally spoiled.
    • If you worked your way through college, then you don't mind working doubly hard to achieve a task.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saltire
    A little question:

I spotted a job in the paper this week, in IT Support. I plan on calling the Recruitment Agency of the company tommorrow evening, to inquire further about it.

However, I have noticed that on other occassions when making a general enquiry about IT related jobs, most companies will ask "What experience do you have?" As I'm 17, and am not long out of school (although it feels a while!) I find it very hard to be able to answer this question satisfactorily.

When I call tommorrow, and they most definitely WILL ask that question, what sort of answer would be the best one to give them?

What do I think? -- If you don't already have the experience, how do you get it if nobody is willing to give you the chance to work for them in order to obtain it?
    Most small companies look for people with experience. They can't afford to train or they may not have the experienced staff to do the training. Larger companies will be more likely to hire people with no experience because they are able to train and can afford to train them.

Do you have the skill, but not the experience? In other words, if they are trying to hire a javascript programmer, can you program very well in javascript but you've never actually been employed as a javascript programmer? If that is the situation, then put together a website with some great javascript examples. You might call it your portfolio.

People are hired every day who have no experience. Most college graduates fit that description. You just have to find the right company.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of experience as skill in action. Do you have examples of your skill? It doesn't have to be as an employee. It can be what you did as a hobby. I almost hired a guy who taught himself ASP. His day job was AS/400 programmer. The only real reason I didn't hire hiim was because the position disappeared. We didn't hire anybody. He had no experience, but he showed me a website he had developed that was very impressive.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jim Lewis, above...
    Do you have the skill, but not the experience? In other words... can you program very well in javascript but you've never actually been employed as a javascript programmer? If that is the situation, then put together a website with some great javascript examples. You might call it your portfolio.
    Jim's got a solid point, here. These days I'm the guy who does the hiring, rather than the hiree; but I also spent twenty-five years as a programming consultant and troubleshooter in everything from artificial intelligence and automation systems to quantum physics modeling -- with nary a technical degree of any kind. (My degrees are in other fields.)

The programming community always has been, and still remains, different from most technical communitites when it comes to credentials...

Though carrying heavy paper can't hurt -- it's far more important to be able to demonstrate that you can do the work and do it well.

One solid coder can recognize another in a split second -- and I'll hire a talent based on an elegant programming exercise ten times faster than I'll even think about booking someone merely because he or she waves MIT paper in front of my nose.