SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @ College?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering if anyone here is in college or further education, and what they are studying. I should say what I'm doing but I'm running out the door so I'll do it when I get back!

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am at University and I am haflway through a Phd (doctorate) in Internet Technologies and how we can use them to improve accessibility for blind/speech users.

I recommend a PhD to anyone. It is very self involved but it is really rewarding, especially if you manage to get funding to research into something that really makes a difference and you think will help people!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at 2nd year Computer Science, University of Waterloo (Ont. Canada)
    It has a very good reputation for CS-related fields (CS+Engineering)
    And yes, my intention is also get the highest degree I could (PhD) It's very tough but I have to do my best!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a junior, seeking a 4 year degree in Spanish with a minor in International Studies. I know it has nothing to do with computers, but when I started college, webmastering was only a hobby, whereas now it's an obsessio--err..busienss I'm considering getting a secondary major in either in business administration or English. We'll see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computers + Foreign Language = Hot Ticket in the US, especially in Texas where I live.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am two quarters (semesters) away from graduating with an associate degree in Web Design. Although I'm glad I went back to school and made a career change, the curriculum has been a bit of a joke. I would say that 90% of what I learned related to Web design has been outside of school through my own efforts.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished a two year diploma in General Managment and will be looking into a computer related field.

My real interest is in the E-Commerce/Internet field, however there are like no degrees in this field. I am looking for a degree so I might either have to wait or take something less interesting. By the way I live in Canada if anybody has any good ideas.
    "Over 2200 Free Webmaster Resources and Tools"
    Search through our continually updated directory of free webmaster resources.
    WebmasterLane.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First year CS major...

Owen

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6th Form.. (A level)

Maths, Economics, Physics, Geography (AS level, only half an A level), IT, General Studies and `Keyskills` (Also only worth half an A level).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in my 3rd and final year of a BA in Politics at the University of Durham (UK). An excellent centre of learning - second only to Oxbridge.
    Football-Punter.co.uk
    The Punter's Lounge - the best football forum on the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at the University of New Mexico doing a B.A. in German and Political Science with a minor in communication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    I'm at the University of New Mexico doing a B.A. in German and Political Science with a minor in communication.
    My wife has a degree in German. She would think that was really cool. She has lived in both Austria and Switzerland. Have you ever been to or lived in Europe?
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by PeterW
    6th Form.. (A level)

Maths, Economics, Physics, Geography (AS level, only half an A level), IT, General Studies and `Keyskills` (Also only worth half an A level).
    What is A level? Is this a European standard?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I returned to college as a Junior and now am a Senior majoring in History. Was a business major but I learned more in the workforce than the classroom so changed my major. As I really went back to school to learn I decided to take the subject that I love...History!

The only problem I am having is that my degree will take longer to earn due to many more prerequisites that I have to take 'now' than I would have if returned to the classroom earlier ~ for example, 3 years of language used to be enough to graduate, now I found out I should have taken the 4th year as I have to pass an immediate level class. Since I have forgotten most of my 3 years of Spanish other than 'yo quiero Taco Bell' I decided to take a year of French...which I have always wanted to learn!

Going to college is the best discipline there is and by majoring in the subject that I love 'History' the learning is fun...but then I have always loved the classroom ~
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jamesglewisf
    Originally posted by LuZeR
    My wife has a degree in German. She would think that was really cool. She has lived in both Austria and Switzerland. Have you ever been to or lived in Europe?
    I've been to Europe twice, mostly to Germany but I went to a few other countries (including austria and 2 feet into switzerland before the border guards got mad at me and a few others). I want to live in Germany someday though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is A level? Is this a European standard?
    I think your equivalent is the PSATs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so... The PSAT "practice-SAT" is a simple version of the SAT (college entrance exams) that are for your own enlightenment only (well and for a few scholarships if you get a near-perfect score). Do you mean the AP (advance placement) exams? These give college credit for completing a high scool class taught at the college level.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Sparkie
    I'm a junior, seeking a 4 year degree in Spanish with a minor in International Studies. I know it has nothing to do with computers, but when I started college, webmastering was only a hobby, whereas now it's an obsessio--err..busienss I'm considering getting a secondary major in either in business administration or English. We'll see
    no offence, i am just wondering out of curiosity, but what does a degree in spanish get you in life? aka, whats the point of it?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Owen
    I don't think so... The PSAT "practice-SAT" is a simple version of the SAT (college entrance exams) that are for your own enlightenment only (well and for a few scholarships if you get a near-perfect score). Do you mean the AP (advance placement) exams? These give college credit for completing a high scool class taught at the college level.

Owen
    A levels are the two year courses typically done before university.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question jumpthru. U.S. Companies want multi-lingual people with college degrees. With a growing international economy, they need employees who can negoatiate deals, write contracts, and communicate with customers in other languages. You have a real upper hand if you can communicate with somebody in their native language and your competitors cannot.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    I am at University and I am halfway through a Phd (doctorate) in Internet Technologies and how we can use them to improve accessibility for blind/speech users.

I recommend a PhD to anyone. It is very self involved but it is really rewarding, especially if you manage to get funding to research into something that really makes a difference and you think will help people!
    I'm working for a year now, but am going back to University to take a BSc in Internet Technologies in September, I've already done the first year of a BSc in Multimedia Computing. I've got my sights set on an MSc in Internet Communication for afterwards, I want lots of letters after my name.

A PhD might just be next. We'll have to see!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ady - if you can get funding for it then go for it!

Sorry about the mistake with the PSATs thingy! I can't get my head around the American Education System! I think if someone explained I would appreciate it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicky > We have the same problem: we can't figure out your system.

Owen

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jumpthru
    no offence, i am just wondering out of curiosity, but what does a degree in spanish get you in life? aka, whats the point of it? [/B]
    I get this a lot Well, as James said, knowledge of a foreign language (especially Spanish, since it is the second most widely-spoken language in the US) together with computer and internet-related skills is a definite plus in the translation/web design/interpreting/teaching job market. In the area where I live, it will soon become mandatory to take at least 2-3 years of a foreign language in order to graduate high school. Since its difficult to find good foreign language teachers out there, I always have the educational pathway to fall back on if business is slow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie's right, my knowledge of Spanish ahs always been really useful to me. And if you end up not using it (as I am now) it still looks quite impressive on a CV that you had the intelligence and follow through to learn a new language!