SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict BusinessEmpire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Screen Resolution....Someone Please Help

How is everyone doing? I recently just finished my website. So, I decided to go to my Local Kinkos and use their computers to check my website. I just wanted to see how my website looks on different computers, or more like different screen resolutions.

Now I built my website mainly for an 800 by 600 screen resolution. My local kinkos uses a 1024 by 768 screen resolution. When I saw my website on their computers, my website looked out of placed, distorted, etc. I could not believe my website looked so terrible in a 1024 by 768 screen resolution.

Can someone please tell me how I can fix this problem? I always thought many people were using a 800 by 600 res. But if the new standard is a 1024 by 768 screen resolution, then I may be in trouble. I love using a 800 by 600 screen resolution.

I built my website with MS Frontpage 2002.

Thanks In Advance For Your Help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your website URL? If I could see the site, I could give you a more definitive answer. But, without even viewing it, I'm sure the problem is that you are using percentages to layout your entire site (if not the entire thing, at least some aspects of it).

Frontpage, like all WYSIWYG editors, will layout a site to what you "draw" on the editing space. You may be setting the width manually for tables, but, if you don't, it's setting them for you and it may be setting percentages. You have to be careful when using percentages, or else, it'll cause the problem you listed above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, first problem.

You use " " to format text. This is bad. Reason being is that different users have different font size preferences, and while it may seem that the text position is fine using your font size, for another user with a different setting it will not be the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responding Shawn. What should I do to fix this problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really not a simple solution, since you use spacing to set the position of your text - and you use it several times. How familiar are you with HTML/CSS? Since you're using Frontpage, I'll just throw out a stereotypical guess and say you're not incredibly advanced, so the HTML route may be the best for you.

In HTML, using tables, you can set the position of content of a cell by setting it's align properties. (td width=50 align=left). The variables you can use are left, center, and right. There is also another align property, called vertical align (td width=50 align=left valign=bottom). Variables with vertical alignment include top, middle, and bottom. You position, you guessed it, the vertical alignment of contents in a cell with this.

Now that you know this, go into your code and try to add this where the content is. Such as, the tagline "Promoting & Helping Enterpreneurs," add a align=right to that td tag and you will have the same effect as you have now, without using the 600 spaces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks Shawn. I am going to do what you told me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BusinessEmpire
    How is everyone doing? I recently just finished my website. So, I decided to go to my Local Kinkos and use their computers to check my website. I just wanted to see how my website looks on different computers, or more like different screen resolutions.
    Kinda off topic, but you know you don't have to go to Kinkos to test a different screen res. You should be able to change your own screen resolution unless you have a really old machine.
    Golf Outings? OutingCaddy.com
    Organize - Invite - Create Free website for your golf outing!

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you refering to the entrepreneur site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Rock. Yes, I am refering to my entrepreneur site. Right now, I am rebuilding the whole website.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should look at learning html/css if you can....you will be able to achieve a positioned layout that looks good on all resolutions...even collapsing down to pda size